1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know it's Bleacher Report, but...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CCaple, Aug 4, 2009.

1. CCaple

CCaple Member

Libel is still libel, is it not?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/228510-the-103-who-tested-positive-for-steroids-in-2003

2. Well, the "reporter" who produced that list is a fucking moron, if nothing else. That's the same debunked list that was on rotoworld (I think that was the name of the site) a couple months ago.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would take Lvty's word on being a fucking moron.

4. Oh, you are so sweet I could just lick the back of your neck.

5. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

But its got a question mark in the headline, so that means I dunno what I'm talking about. It's just a guess.

/saidtheguywhowroteit

The comments below it are even more distrubing.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

It'd be pretty hard for a player to win a libel case in this situation. Most, if not all, of the guys on the list could be considered public figures, which means they'd have to prove actual malice -- that Bleacher Report knew the list was wrong and maliciously published it anyway.

Besides, they might have to prove they didn't use steroids, which might be even more difficult.

(Sorry for the lecture, but I thought it was worth mentioning).

7. CCaple

CCaple Member

Valid points. Maybe it's less libelous than it is just wildly inappropriate to speculate like that.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Another example of why Bleacher Report is not and will never be confused with professional, responsible journalism.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Except by the people writing for it.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Agreed. I don't know about you ... but any resume I see with a Bleacher Report gig on it goes right into the round file.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Tell that to Andy.

12. CCaple

CCaple Member

Hey, he's got the whole Marital Arts thing figured out, at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted