1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just saw the new Orville Redenbacher ad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D.Sanchez, Jan 20, 2007.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

I'm afraid I'll never recover. Scores an 11 on the creepy scale. Do they actually think that this will sell one bag of popcorn?

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Paging Evil Thy Name Is ....

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I agree. The guy looks worse than Al Davis on a windy day.

They would have done better to dust off one of the commercials from the '70s.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

He looked computer-enhanced/generated to me.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

That's the weirdest thing about it. He was computer-generated, seeing as Redenbacher's been dead for more than a decade:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_Redenbacher

I'd fire the graphics folks after this one. The best they could do was generate a guy who looks like he's been dug up, filled with formaldehyde and programmed to speak?

[​IMG]

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I thought the look was similar to dancing grandpa on the Six Flags commercials. Seems like that would have been cheaper.

7. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

To me, the zombie-like reactions of the other people in the ad are almost as creepy as Redenbacher.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Textbook definition of the Uncanny Valley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_Valley

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

This is a great example of just because it is possible to do, it isn't always a great idea to do it.

I hope the people at Wendy's don't get any ideas from this.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Kinda reminds me of when Nancy Marchand died and they used her on The Sopranos afterward -- her voice often with shots of another woman dressed like her from behind. It was creepy.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

But they only did that in the one episode as a way to kill her off. It wasn't like they did it for weeks and weeks to keep her storyline going.

Draft saved Draft deleted