1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just got an internship that will allow me to graduate in April.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by readyandwilling, Nov 12, 2009.

1. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

ITA. ASAP.

If nothing else, getting the applications out early will give you that much of a leg up. Also, even an unsuccessful job interview might lead to something down the line. I was offered one gig because I'd made it through a previous final round of interviews. Didn't get that first job, but they had another similar opening a month or so later.

ETA: I also ITA about plugging away at your internship. Look at it as a dress rehearsal for the Full-Time Job to Come. My first j-job was at the paper I interned for my last semester of college.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

He is typing the beginning of his responses in the subject box.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Too late.

Back it up to 1993.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Apparently he's never posted on a

message board before.

Hell, this could be fun.

By the way, judging by your username, you'd better be willing to sacrifice twice as much as you think you will to get anywhere in this biz. That's just the nature of it now.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

This revelation made me

laugh.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It confuses me, because I see "This revelation made me" as the last updated post, then I click on j-topics and there's no thread called that.

7. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

As confused as Ryan Howard appears in that pic?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you are implying that I am an idiot then you are correct, because I went wanted to be a sports journalist despite everyone telling me not to do it. Now, I'm covering news and making $10,000 to $20,000 than friends who graduated a year or two after me. One is a middle school teacher in a lower-middle class district.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It will also give you time to practice speaking/writing in complete sentences, and get in the habit of posting the way you would/should write, instead of using IM- and Twitter-ese even when not IM-ing or tweeting...

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Start applying now. If you don't get anything, then ask the people who are hiring if they know anyone else in the area/chain who is hiring. I started applying for jobs six months before graduation as well and several were looking for immediate hires, but agreed to pass my resume on to others who would be looking soon.

Plus, the more resumes you get out, the more people that see them. Something may not be open now but could open up when you need it. Also, use the contacts you'll make during your internship. Something permanent may open up there.

Draft saved Draft deleted