1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I" in game reports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ripthejacker, Mar 12, 2007.

1. ripthejacker

ripthejacker New Member

I can see the flames growing in your journalistically pure eyes. And they're hot, I know.
    But before you send me the worst virus ever created, give me a few sentences.
    Our paper does not use "I" in game reports, but our competitor does. The way their staff goes about it makes them look arrogant and as if they know more about what they're covering than their reader.
    However, sometimes I try apply the Hunter S. Thompson rationale to the issue. I believe writers cannot be absolutely "objective" in stories. This said, why not tell the reader where you're coming from when you describe something like crowd or player reaction, a team's energy, a player's rhythm. Sure, a column is the place for stuff like that, but, if done tastefully, I think it can enrich a story a bit.
    Now I'm going to back track a little.
    As a younger writer, I personally enjoy the challenge of making high school or junior college game reports sound like an AP story. At times though, I feel like our small, football and basketball-crazed community doesn't get the emotion and atmosphere of the game by reading our reports. That may be our shortcomings as writers, but I can't help considering what it would be like if I could talk about what I felt, heard, saw at the game in a more unrestrictive format than the ol' inverted triangle.

OK, I'm ready for the fire.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The inverted PYRAMID should not restrict one's ability to describe a scene. If you write about the experience, what you sensed, saw, heard, etc. there is no need for "I". It's like using "I think . . " on a message board. Of course you think that; you're posting it. If in a story you are describing the scene based on someone else's reactions, you would cite that. But for the most part, you are describing the scene as you saw it, and readers know that.

Just don't ever, EVER use "this reporter." Hell, or the ultimate copout of "we." It's your story, and everyone knows that.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is this serious?

What possible rationale would you have for including yourself in a game story?

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There is none -- unless you're going overboard with your descriptions of referees calls, substitutions or other things that happened in the game.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

rip, you're probably going to need to provide more than you have about your use of "I" in a story. Under most circumstances there's no need to insert yourself in the story.

However, in rerence to your second issue, a good writer doesn't allow the reader to feel shortchanged just because they couldn't show up.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

In my opinion, good writing makes the reader feel like they were there, rather than telling them that the writer was there.

IMO, first person is totally inappropriate in event coverage -- it reinforces the mistaken idea that reporters write their opinions rather than their objective observation. I understand that activist journalism is allegedly making a comeback, but I don't think that sentiment applies to prep gamers anyway.

A writer should be able to set the scene effectively and convincing without saying "I was there" to buttress the credibility of their description. The byline and the dateline already establish their presence at the event.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

However, sometimes I try apply the Hunter S. Thompson rationale to the issue.

A. Not in a game stoy you don't...NEVER
    B. You are not now and never will be Hunter S. Thompson. Don't even try to emulate a style you cannot possibly pull off.

if done tastefully, I think it can enrich a story a bit.

No it does not.

I can't help considering what it would be like if I could talk about what I felt, heard, saw at the game in a more unrestrictive format than the ol' inverted triangle.

Wrong again. Obviously youhave a great deal to learn about being a reporter and a writer.

And that's inverted pyramid. Sheeeeeeesh!

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"As I was picking up a pencil, Barry Bonds hit career homer No. 756 last night."

9. I've been trying for like two hours to think of a thoughtful, rational response to this question that would really make this kid understand but I admit I'm still just too pissed off at the idea of using I ...

Actually, Dooley may have just nailed it ...

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Has this thread reached the pancake-on-bunny stage yet?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"The Suns went on an 18-2 run to tie the game. The spurt began when I started telling 'vixenhottie127' on Yahoo Messenger what I was wearing and ended about the time she described what she and her friend were doing to each other."

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"I was grabbing some seconds from the buffet when the Spartans scored their second touchdown, but fortunately John Doe from the Podunk Press provided me his notes. Soon after, the chicken gave me gas and I was taking a mean shit while the bench-clearing brawl marred the game."

Draft saved Draft deleted