1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have really had it with "nil"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Jun 25, 2006.

1. sportsed

sportsed Guest

I actually think it would be hilarious if, say, the Cavs were playing the Heat next season and in the first half Brent Musburger said it's deuce here at American Airlines Arena.

Oh, the other thing that makes me gag this World Cup season is the bullshit British low-media and the WAGs. What a bunch of hooey.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

C'mon BYH, that was my line LAST MONTH. The number is way higher than that.

Coming over to see my Livan Hernandez autographed baseball doesn't seem to work either.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not necessarily. I'm not sure about AP but Canadian Press style is to refer to a team with a singular name as if its name was plural. For example, "the Heat are the NBA champions" and "the Lightning won their first Stanley Cup in 2004."

I would assume the rule is the same for musical groups, which is why we can say, "I saw Kiss in concert and they were terrible/great/so-so."

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You need to be That Guy who has a kid get him a burgeoning star's autograph...in this case, Ryan Zimmerman.

"Please sign this card, this card and the other 427 just like it."

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And "I moderate a sports message board" got you slapped.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about "I tolerate dickheads?"

Actually, that sounds like the official SportsJournalists.com bumper sticker.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Add dicksnorts and douchenozzles and you may have a keeper there, BYH.

EDIT: And what happened to your sig pic?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was asked to take the pic down. Searching for a suitable replacement as we type.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A link of that very pic would be fine.

Hospitalized two weeks after I used the moderator line, so now I stick to my baseball collection.

"Wanna see my Chief bobblehead?" got me slapped, too.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, back on topic (nice threadjack ruiner and all that I always am ...).

Casty, I don't see a problem with "nil" in soccer. You're a baseball guy ... wouldn't it bother you if someone "plated" a run, or someone scored a "point" (run), or "that guy can really throw," only to find out it's the pitcher?

"Nil" is a soccer term, just like "love" is used in tennis. No problems here.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

My interest in soccer is nil.

My interest in the World Cup being over is HUGE.

12. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Pitch bothers me more than nil or side, though I don't know why. To me, Americans just sound silly using English phrases.

If that makes me a wanker, so be it.

Draft saved Draft deleted