1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have never been so embarrassed of fellow journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Last night at the NASCAR Craftsman Truck race at Kentucky Speedway, NE Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss made his debut as track owner. There were journalists in attendance requesting either pictures with or autographs from Moss on pit road. Are you friggin kidding me? What the hell happened to being professional?

2. Sorry. Professionalism was outsourced to our sister company in New Delhi.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moss owns the track?

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

How can you blame them for wanting a picture taken with such a fine upstanding citizen who treats the media so well?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Well, when Cal Ripken made an appearance at the Comcast Center, I nearly went looking for an autograph. Had I done so, I would have justified it by saying that Ripken is one of the transcendent figures of sports.

I wouldn't want to be within 100 feet of Randy Moss unless I were wearing a spectra vest and I was packing heat. Plus carrying brass knuckles and a can of pepper spray.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not good. Just as bad to ask Ripken as it would be Moss.

You'd think being a sportswriter that type of thing would wear off, and just being in attendance with athletes and coaches would be enough. The articles, columns, and press passes are our souvenirs not autographs and pictures.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Notice, I said "almost." I didn't. ::)

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The more "interactive" and the less traditionally journalistic the media becomes, the more and more this type of thing will happen.

And it will be normal, and no big deal.

I'm not saying it is, but that's how it'll become.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I hear ya. I almost asked Dick Vitale once.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To get to the point at which Moddy's driving, Moss owns a team, Randy Moss Racing Motorsports. Their driver, Willie Allen, started 20th and finished 15th.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Would never have happened if they covered it via telephone.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lemme guess...radio geeks from Cincinnati?

Draft saved Draft deleted