1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have malignant salivary gland cancer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Feb 7, 2022.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fantastic news. Best of luck with the next steps and recovery.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Make it about 10 inches across (TWSS) and 72 dpi and that should make it easy to upload.

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 5.52.13 PM.png

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Great news, Boogie. So happy to hear it. This is a good start, just keep on going.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great news CD!! ( Sorry for late thoughts, didn’t read until now)

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I am glad to see this, and hope you are hanging tight.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Very happy to read this, CD. Best of luck in your recovery.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So mixed bag of news from first post-op appointment. Drains and sutures all taken out, kudos to Nurse Wife for keeping me clean and healthy :)

Unfortunately the pathology report found salivary gland cancer -- classified as adenoid cystic carcinoma-- had moved to 2 lymph nodes of the parotid gland, which is unusual.

So, definitely need six weeks of radiation starting in like 5 weeks. Doctor referred to this type of salivary gland cancer as a "nerve-loving cancer" with the potential to materialize in the lungs.

Still, I am currently cancer free for now, the effing drains and sutures are removed, my facial nerve was preserved, and i know i am surrounded by love and support. Oh, and ive been cleared to have a pop, so im having a martini with my girl, who asked for and has been granted a promotion to physicians assistant.

Thank you for your good vibes :)

Boogie

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You'll fight this with everything you and come out only a little worse for the wear.

We're all with you, CD.

And where's that selfie?

Dyno and OscarMadison like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know “keep fighting” is a cliched term… but I don’t know what else to say. Sending thoughts your way.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I join everyone in wishing for a better update but being inspired by your approach and spirits. Thinking of you.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

We're all with you, CD.
    And thanks for sparing us the selfie. :)

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry for the qualified news.

Five weeks out from radiation is a good time to start hydrating and exercising and eating a very purposeful anti-cancer diet. Be sure to monitor vitamin levels, too. Your cancer team can help with that on MyChart, or equivalent.

We've found this book to be very helpful

71c82vMY5yL.jpg

Same with this. https://www.rebeccakatz.com/the-cancer-fighting-kitchen

Be sure to talk to your doctor and nurse-practioner about foods to avoid before radiation.

You may want to join a support group at the hospital, or talk to the social worker associated with your case as well.

Hang in there. We still have to argue Pepe's vs Sally's. I send the love of the household.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted