1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a very rational hatred for the deli at the supermarkets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Best deli sammich, national chain division:

http://www.schlotzskys.com/

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This, from the Funbag on Deadspin today....

"I was walking to a Chipotle down the block from my university a couple of weeks ago when I saw a couple of girls wearing Northeastern Soccer warmups walking in. I realized they would get to the counter before me, which wouldn't have been a problem until I saw another 30 girls suddenly turn the corner. At this point I broke into a sprint because, fuck me, I am not going to wait behind 30 people for a burrito. They pointed and laughed and made my burrito ordering uncomfortable. It remains one of my proudest moments of food devotion."

Devil would have just walked right on by like the goddamn stud he is and hit up the Sheetz down the block.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This one usually is pretty dead. I normally can get there at 11:45 but today was 12:15. All the difference in the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No Pondarosa's in that town?

If I see a bus, I scope the front first to see if they are ordering or already fed.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I will have to check out Jersey Mike's next time I find I am in the area. But for my money, Sheetz Rulz.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If they're already fed, it is a good thing, as it means whatever you're ordering is going to be fresh.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Tell me about Jersey Mike's. I just discovered there is one on the way to work if I go a certain route. Why is it good? Why is it better (or worse) than Subway, Quiznos or Togos?
    Different company, I believe, but if anybody is familiar with Big Mike's in El Segundo, nothing compares.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Much better bread to start.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I think it's the quality of the meat. One thing Jersey Mike's does that Subway doesn't is offer fresh-cut meat. I think that makes a difference -- otherwise, at the supermarket we'd just settle for buying OscarMeyer on the next aisle over. Though they have just two choices between white and wheat, I like the bread better, and if you have a hankerin' for a Philly Cheesesteak, you can do worse than what they offer (it's not the best, but it will do in a pinch).

Yeah, I'm probably wrong in thinking that the slightly higher price translates to higher quality, but my nine-year-old, who doesn't know the value of a dollar, prefers Jersey Mike's to Subway.

I forgot about Jimmy John's. One just opened by my house about a month ago. It's some kind of good too.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I have a Jersey Mike's within walking distance of my house, but haven't been there. I went to one in Chapel Hill a few years ago and wasn't that impressed, but I'll have to give it another try. I've kind of wondered why fast food places don't go to the touch screen ordering, like Sheetz, but I suppose it's good there's still fast food jobs for the uneducated.

The original point of this thread, well that's why I rarely go to the store between 10 and 10.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I will try Jersey Mike's, definitely.
    We have a great cheesesteak place close by, called Philly's Best. Everything is brought in from Philly. Go there 2-3 times a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted