1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a very rational hatred for the deli at the supermarkets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jan 27, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They rock.

Too bad the meat was poor, but that is the way it should be done. Heck, they could give out the little pagers you used to get at restaurants when restaurants were busy.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am going to try that at Stop 'n Shop. Order half pound of Salami and give my name as Dick Hertz.

"Dick Hertz your Salami is ready for pick up"

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, you could get good meat. But it was like $9.99 a pound. And sorry, but no.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd pay $20/lb for good roast beef. The deli I use for roast beef (best roast beef I've ever had), sells it for $8/lb. I typically get a half-pound for a couple sammiches throughout the work week. $4. I consider that a steal.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've used a service similar to what IJAG is describing before. It was very convenient, until the store got bought out. Now, I purchase my deli meet at a little deli shop on Saturday mornings, when MrsExpendable sends me up to get her a bagel. Since I'm waiting on the bagel, it's not but a minute or two extra to wait for them to shave me a little pastrami. Otherwise, I'd be right with you on these silly waits. I love the grocery store, but I can't stand the line at the deli counter.

6. Boom_70

At Stop and Shop you can avoid all the super market hassles by going home delivery route. It does not cost much more.

Just go on computer and click what you want. Specify delivery time and you will have the next day at that time. Few things in life work so well. They are much better vegetable pickers than I could ever be.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why does wanting a half-pound of four different cheeses and/or meats make me an asshole? I resent that. A lot. There's two of us here. A half-pound is plenty for a week. And we like a little variety. I'm an asshole because of that?

Lord.

8. Boom_70

If you switch bologna you could afford a few better looking work shirts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about car washes as the OP does about delis.

There's a fantastic car wash right next door to my office, and it provides a great service for 10 bucks if you're there before 9. But I'll never go back, because the last time I was there I waited about 45 minutes for my car, even though I was the only customer there. When I asked the manager why there were 15 able bodied attendants standing at the entrance, and one grandpa taking his time on my car, the Manager told me that's how they do it and he can't change it and if I don't like it, go somewhere else.

Done.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Agreed.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Going to my local butcher shop/deli (not in a friggin' supermarket) is a social occasion. Get to yak with the guys behind the counter about what's new in the cheese/meat/pate/ departments and bust the owner's balls over his prices. Yes, his double smoked bacon is $12.00 a pound but you'd never eat that nitrate filled crap from a supermarket again.

Can drop $50.00 without any trouble. I waited 15 minutes last Saturday while some guy ordered five types of cheeses and about five types of meat. He was asking questions about every single thing he was buying.

If you're in a hurry, don't go to a deli--and I'm one impatient mother.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Publix fried chicken is where it's at.

Draft saved Draft deleted