1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a terrible confession to make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I just had a coffee-shop session... I wasn't really feeling like writing today. I have a lot going on and I was feeling a little stressed and distracted. But I have to put in my time. So I came to the shop and I stutter-stepped a bunch and drank my coffee and ordered a sandwich and pissed around on here. Then I put on some music and just started grinding out sentences. Then it started to rain, and I forget where I was, and I had one of those total accidental discoveries, when the pieces just kind of magically find their ways into fitting, and you get that physical feeling you get when they do.

This business sucks, and I know a lot of people here think of themselves as former writers. But there is still nothing like that feeling for me, and I would encourage those of you who have lost it or not felt it for a while: Sit down at your desk again. See where it takes you. Sometimes when you least expect the written word to give you something back, it surprises you. It becomes an instrument of bliss.

Lugnuts, Azrael and OscarMadison like this.
  2. typefitter

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bump for positivity.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This for some reason reminded me of the Patton Oswalt bit about going to an open mic and being upstaged by a guy on drugs. He said no matter how funny you think you are, there's a guy on drugs who is unintentionally funnier than you.

5. typefitter

Great day today. More than 1,400 words that I'm proud of. Another chapter almost done. Also had three delicious cups of Campfire Breakfast coffee, a bagel with bacon, and a chocolate chip muffin.

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. typefitter

Guy just came into the coffee shop wearing a Rush T-shirt. I couldn't help it. I said, "Rush sucks." We fought, and he's dead now, lying in the middle of the floor in his stupid fucking T-shirt. Why couldn't he have chosen a different shirt today? The whole place is quiet. Nobody's moving. I'm just going to keep writing and hope that nobody makes me leave and everything goes back to normal.

7. typefitter

The guy at the table next to me seems to be a lawyer, and I want to ask him whether the fact that Rush sucks so much might be a valid defence here. But I also don't want to draw more attention to myself. Everybody is being really still. They've even turned off the music. We're all just sitting here. It's really weird.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You can choose run away
    Or listen to a legal voice
    If you choose not to decide
    You still have made a choice

9. typefitter

I'm choosing to run away.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So you choose free will?

typefitter likes this.
  11. typefitter

Rolling the bones.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Come on now, folks. Just calm down. Hold your fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted