1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a new hero. Look at this story.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JuneBug1, May 4, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What do you mean - "have a little tact" ? This is a message board. We discuss and debate things here. Its rare that the membrship tows the party line. Its not like we are sending PETA to his doorstep.

2. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Boom, you've started an argument about hunting on a site about a story highlighting some kid's battle with terminal cancer. If you think that's tactful, then I probably don't need to explain whey I have to click a button to read your posts.

And Frank, I already read your thoughts. Essentially, I'm saying that you're wrong. That story helps people understand what it might be like to face cancer. We see it through one person's eyes. It's not the full story on the subject, but it is a story worthy the ink used to print it.

It gives us some insight into how parents deal with tragedy. It shows how people can come together. It reinforces that, above all, people have humanity in them.

I don't think it's meant to make anyone feel better about the kid dying. I think the goal is to help all of us do better at living.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Is there another sport where the situation/scene/story can tug at our heart like baseball. Between the college player in Oregon being carried around the field by two opponents so she could complete her home run "trot" and this story ... well, it's hard to see the laptop screen through tears.
    Earlier this evening I got to see my son, four years younger than John Challis, hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 15 seconds left for his spring league team. And I wonder what it's like for an 18-year-old and his family to go through watching a life run out.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, that's exactly what he's saying -- there are basically five seasons in Pittsburgh Winter, Spring, Fall, Deer and Winter

5. Boom_70

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Notepad

Notepad Member

Boom-
    You still have yet to answer the very first questions asked of you.
    So, Mr. Love-all-God's-creatures, have you ever smashed an ant? How about set a mousetrap? Ever take a flyswatter to a pesky fly?

7. Boom_70

All of the above - including shooting a deer. By no means am I an anti hunting. You are misinterpreting my original point

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Please tell me y'all haven't picked this thread, of all the the places on the freaking interweb, to have this pissing match.

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

the question I have is to what degree did reporting this story affect the author...can't imagine being in the middle of this and not struggling mightily to keep some daylight between his feelings and the telling...we've all had tugs of war in the course of things, but I can say I've never dealt with a story this intense...good job, mate

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Great story, great message, shit thread, all thanks to Boom.

11. Gotta disagree, Trey.

I read the story and came away with the same question as Boom.

12. Boom_70

Sorry to ruin your "feel good " moment Tree. I did not realize there was an sj protical to follow on this type of thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted