1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate writing cover letters ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Thank you for listening.

2. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Here's some inspiration.

If I'm hiring for a position, if the cover letter doesn't grab my attention, I probably won't even bother to look at the clips.

Not saying you have to do something outlandish, but it should intrigue me enough to find out more about you.

3. Clever username

That's what I try to do. I think I have a pretty good intro to mine, it's just the rest of it that I hate doing. I hate trying to sell myself.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just use that.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do, too. But you know what? You'll probably get some assignments as a reporter that you aren't too fond of also. Gotta slug through those as well.

6. Clever username

Indeed, but those crap assignments aren't the difference between getting your clips read or tossed in the circular file.

7. scalper

scalper Member

Good rule of thumb, I think: If you're a top contender for a position and you know it, you keep it straight. If you're a longshot and you know it, you go for it a little bit -- try to get yourself noticed and become that outsider that forces his way into the hunt. It won't work often, but it will work once in a while.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Approach it like a column and treat it like another clip.

9. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Serve and scalp - great advice!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Here's some advice that's worked for other prominent folks in our biz.

Make shit up. (Kidding, kidding)

Draft saved Draft deleted