1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate TV weather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 18, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

As I said, I don't think any of you realize how fast 20 seconds goes. It can't be done in 60.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sure, it can. A 20-inch story can be cut to eight if need be.

Three minutes 30 of weather can be cut to 60 seconds. Most of it is expendable. Tell us the forecast. The rest is showing off the expensive equipment to justify the expense of the expensive equipment.

3. What he said

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It's not the same as a 20 inch story being cut to 8. If you want people to just tell you if it's going to rain or be dry, be hot or cold and be sunny or cloudy, then you don't care about people's degrees. There's a lot more to weather than that. The people who just tell you that usually fail at their jobs. That's like a sports writer just telling you if a team won without any of the stats to get to the win.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh shit. You guys are in for it now.

6. Johnny Dangerously

I'm getting out while the getting's good. We obviously disagree.

You said it can't be done. What you mean is it can't be done and still done as well as you'd like.

But it can be done.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Seriously, spup. I'm sorry, but we don't understand what the fuck a low-pressure system is anyway, and we don't care about the maps and shit.

High, low, chance of precipitation.

Now, here's Eric with sports!

EDIT: After actually reading the last posts before I posted mine, I now find it necessary to tell spup I was semi-joking. :D

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I don't know why I'm even discussing it. All of you assholes just think tv steals from newspapers anyway (may be the case in some markets, but not most and ESPECIALLY not in mine).

9. Johnny Dangerously

Nice language. And I thought you were all about civil, respectful discussion on here.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I get all my weather from BLOGS!

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tonight's forecast: Dark. Continued dark throughout most of the evening, with some widely-scattered light towards morning.

:D

And for weather, I use the Weather Underground. Just like the way it's organized more than I like the others.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

TV stations aren't just in a metro. There has to be maps because a lot of tv stations have a large market area. Mine covers more than half a state. And if they're just telling you about high and low pressures, they're not doing their job. High and low pressures should be about what it means for you upcoming weather. Did you know that when a high and low pressure system collide, it causes tornadoes and severe weather?

Those are things your meteorologist is probably saying, but you're too busy being mad that weather means three more minutes before you can see the sports scores, so you're not listening.

Draft saved Draft deleted