1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate TV weather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 18, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Fucking hate it. I tune in the local CBS affiliate to watch Survivor and instead I get treated to round-the-clock weather coverage because there's a big storm moving in. How about a scroll on the bottom of the TV or cut in if it's really bad? I've told the news director at a local station how many people hate so much weather being crammed down our throats but he says the consultants tell them that's what people want. Fuck the consultats. God I'm pissed. I bet this shit is going to be on for a couple of hours.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

99 percent of the time, TV weather on local news should be no more than 60 seconds.

20 seconds for what it did today, 20 seconds for what it's going to do tomorrow, and 20 seconds for the five-day forecast.

Instead, it's about 8-10 mintues.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You're from Kentucky? They've been doing the same thing here, too.

:D

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

TV news weather is actually 3:30. I don't think people realize how quickly 20 seconds goes by. Talking about what happened today, what's going to happen tomorrow, and an extended outlook takes a lot more than 60 seconds. A LOT more. It's impossible to do it in less than... 2 minutes. My newscast has a two minute weathercast for just what's happening today, not even taking the seven day into account.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing beats local weather geeks for flat out panic. "HEY WE"RE GOING TO GET AN INCH OF SNOW" (HEY! IT"S MINNEAPOLIS!)

6. I think consultants tell everyone at every station that. Anyone know why?

Guy in my market said that it's because, for the surveys they do, they ask viewers "which part of the news affects your daily life the most." And of course, weather would top that list.

Even though there are a ton of other places you can go and find that same information.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Surveys in my market show that weather is the most important aspect of three newscasts.. the 10 p.m., the weekend mornings and the weekday mornings. Those are the three newscasts people watch for weather when trying plan their days.

8. More local weather forecasts should be like this.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You have tornado warnings in the area... are you one of the assholes who calls to say, "Who cares about Tornado warnings, give me my tv show back!"?

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Everything you need to know about the weather, without the dopey meteorologist or the witty banter:

weather.com

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

How long does it take to tell people what they really want to know?

Will it rain?
    How hot/cold will it get?
    When's the next major change in the weather?

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

At least the local Fox affiliate isn't cutting in the Red Sox-Indians game...

And yes, I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted