1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Hate Snow, Part Whatever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 30, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty damn good, spnited. Hopefully, we'll see that Wednesday and Thursday this week, you know, between snows. ugh. Hell, even Va. Beach got snow.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

South Jersey ... AC, Cape May, etc. ... got 4 inches or so over the weekend. North got nothing.

Might have a random "snow shower, no accumulation expected" Wednesday

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Calling for ice tomorrow night in central Va., snow again on Friday night and Saturday during the day.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'll take summer over winter any day, but I'd actually rather shovel snow than weed the garden. Contradictions ... :D

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A shit-ton of snow, from what I understand. Motherfucker.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same here in the Mile High city. Huge storm (20 inches) in October, bitter cold snap in December (typical) -- and hardly anything since. We just went 21 days between snow, then only got a dusting. Today? Spectacular blue skies (again), temps pushing 50. Pretty much like it's been the past two months. No snow on south-facing grass and barely left on north-facing grass. They really should play the Super Bowl here. The weather is the most underrated part of living here. We don't get socked in with snow from October to April. Typical El Nino year for us where we get a big snowstorm in the fall, go mostly clear and dry from December to February, then we'll most likely get another big storm or two in March (our snowiest month of the year). But the southern part of the state has been socked hard with snow.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, which would suck because I actually do have to get somewhere Saturday, unless they decide to do what UNC Asheville did with their game last Saturday and just push it to Sunday. We shall see.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My 8 1/2-months pregnant wife and I would just as soon not see any more gigantic snowstorms in Central VA. It's not Antarctica, dammit.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

May I humbly suggest that you "hate snow" less than you "hate the fact that the guvvies in your part of the country have no idea how to handle a significant snowstorm". I live in the DC area and feel that way more than once in a while...

Many years ago, I had need to travel to Minneapolis/St. Paul about every 6 weeks. That put me there in winter time - - which in that part of the world starts about Nov 15 and extends until about April 15. One night I pulled into my motel with my rental car and went to sleep because I had an appointment at 9:00AM the next morining.

Overnight 13 inches of snow fell. Schools were not closed - - in fact listening to the morning news in my motel room, I did not get the sense they would open late that morning. My biggest "problem" was clearing all that snow off my rental car so I could see. The parking lot at the motel and the roads were plowed. I left early to get to my meeting and did not need to; I was there about 30 minutes early.

Snow is not an inconvenience in places where folks have seen it before and have an idea what they need to do in order to let the citizenry get on with their lives...

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, it's still inconvenient. We just learn how to get past it.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

All of us around here are already over the snow removal budget. This shit sucks.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A salt truck flipped over on the highway, somewhere around Nashville a couple days ago,.

We're actually significantly under budget here. For the season, we are about 10 inches of snow below normal.

Of course, we've also been known to get decent snowstorms in April, so we may catch up.

Draft saved Draft deleted