1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Hate Snow, Part Whatever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 30, 2010.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Perhaps the best thing about my new job is a) Having free garage parking 10 steps from my lobby; and b) working for somebody who isn't going to make you come in through 10 inches of snow.

murphyc likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We dealt mostly with ice this weekend, but the roads were still a mess. Lots of wrecks, slow going, and even a few closures.
    I sat at my kitchen table and put out the sports section. In doing so, it struck me how 10 years ago -- hell, maybe five or six years ago -- that wouldn't have been possible. I'd have had to drive 50 miles each way over icy roads and probably rent a hotel room.
    Thank God for modern technology and bosses willing to let you take advantage of it.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Had fun on my first snow day. Saw La La Land, made a snowman and attempted snow angels but some frolicking pups thwarted me. Tried to improvise a sled but ran into some trouble.

Record snowfall in Istanbul - something like 25 inches. 800 flights canceled. We'll be closed tomorrow, too.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Kansas/Missouri area forecast for this week:
    Wednesday, 60-65 and sunny.
    Friday, Saturday and maybe into Sunday, a 60-percent chance of freezing rain almost constantly.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Out west, we're preparing for Armageddon.
    60 yesterday, today, tomorrow......then the shit hits the fan.
    Freezing rain starts Friday afternoon, then a mix of shit, mixed with more shit, and then let's go ahead and put 3-5 inches of cold, white shit on top.
    Fuckers out here can't drive when it's 80 and sunny, let alone with a bunch of shit on the road.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

After six inches to over a foot in the Boston area, where the south got slammed more than my western suburb, followed by two days of temperatures with highs in the low 20s, it rained last night and will be near 50 the next two days. Roads are all clear, even my driveway. Of course, it all freezes back come Friday.
    I will be out of town all next week on family business. I hate being out of town in the winter. You can come back to a situation where you plod through a foot of snow to enter the house or worse, return to all surfaces covered with ice due to the melt-refreeze factor.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have not lived in a place with snow since 1997, but I was born and raised with it.
    I kind of miss it.

Also, cutting grass = worse than shoveling snow
    Of course, they're not mutually exclusive. In NJ, we did both.
    In Cali, we just mow.

cjericho likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how much you have to mow and what all other yard work are you doing along with mowing? Mowing isn't bad. That's just walking in a pattern on your lawn for 15 minutes. It's the edging, raking and weeding that suck.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Give me snow-blowing 30-mph wind out of the north and lower 20s ...

over pollen-blowing 30-mph wind out of the south and upper 70s all winter long, and I will love it.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not snow, but this from Guerneville, Calif. (wine country):

[​IMG]

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I walk the mile to and from the bus or train station in my town. It started when we only had one car and then I like knowing that I am always going to get a little exercise each day. I live on a main street, so the sidewalks which I take get as much foot traffic as any in the town.

There is nothing that makes me madder than those neighbors who do not shovel the snow from sidewalk in front of their house. They clear out their driveway, but can't take the 2 minutes to make sure that others can walk. The police in our town do nothing about it

Draft saved Draft deleted