1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Hate PBS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 2, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I’m flipping through channels and the local PBS station is showing The Doors: Live in Europe.

So, I check it out for a few minutes and – of course – they interrupt it with a fundraising pitch.

Every time there’s something worth watching on PBS – or at least something that appeals to me – they’re doing a pledge/membership drive. They always promise something along the lines of, “donate money so we can continue to bring you great programming like this.”

But they never show this kind of programming the rest of the year. They only break it out when they have a pledge drive going on. Total bait and switch bs.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not true ... but enjoy Touch Me anyhow.

3. YankeeFan

What do you watch on PBS?

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Almost all their music/concert shows are shown during pledge drives. So if that's all you watch, you better get out your wallet.

5. Bubbler

American Experience is a great weekly show on American history. I'm usually working, but Frontline is also excellent.

My kids watch their children's programming during the day.

Nothing wrong with PBS.

6. YankeeFan

Thus my, "bait and switch" complaint.

Don't ask me to give and then not show me anymore music programming until the next pledge drive.

Obviously the music programs bring in the money. That means they're popular with your audience. So give us more.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

AmEx is pop history, but I always enjoy it... coincidentally, am watching the one on the Donner party now...

8. Bubbler

It is, but it's still better than most History Channel documentaries, many of which ignore the nuts-and-bolts for the juicy stuff.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

PBS shows music every week with Austin City Limits.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

PBS showed a Pink Floyd show a couple years ago. Haven't seen it since, but I have had a great fill of Johnny Cash!

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

PBS played Ghostwriter. It can do whatever it'd like.

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

PBS is why I have TiVO.....fast forward....

Draft saved Draft deleted