1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate NYcentric media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 23, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I thought that was Vegas or New Orleans... :)

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Isn't Minnesota all glaciers or something?

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

:mad: :p

Not when last weekend saw highs of 105 and lows of 80. Makes it tough for glaciers to survive. ::) ;)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So... Minnesota is the centre of all global warming??? [/double j]

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Ask me that again in January when it's 40 below and I have to let my vehicle run for a half hour before moving it. ;)

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Remember Tropical Storm Allison around 1998 or '99? Dumped about three feet of rain on Houston -- the fourth or fifth largest city in the country -- and brought near-Katrina level flooding to parts of the city. I think it warranted a 20-second brief on Headline News. Same thing happens in New York, we get the five-minute feature about the Fifth Avenue Can Man making arks out of Schlitz cans, the entire history of flooding in NYC, a 10-minute retrospective to the 1888 blizzard and the one-hour documentary on how global warming is to blame. And that's all in the first day.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

While generally I agree with you - the NY-based national media make a huge deal about anything happening here and forget about the rest of the country - this time around the Queens blackout was oddly underplayed for days. It's been going on since Monday and I didn't hear about it until Thursday, and I live an hour from NYC. Didn't see full-out coverage in the papers until Saturday.
    Had it been in Manhattan, now then it would have been all-blackout-all-the-time all week, but a couple of hundred thousand working class people in an outer borough? Eh.
    I heard more about St. Louis, though maybe it caught my eye b/c I used to live there. That sounds horrible, and is no place to be w/out a/c this time of year.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I just wish the media, particularly ESPN, would finally realize how important it is when the Yankees and Red Sox play. Especially if it's a series in April or May.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A little side rant here, but it seemed amazing to me that large portions of these major cities are without power for a week. In Mississippi, half the state was without power right after Katrina. Everybody who still had a house had power restored within 11 days. Half a fairly large state, with a lot of rural area, vs. a large metropolitan area? What's the problem there?

Side rant over.

10. boots

boots New Member

The problem is it ain't NYC or LA.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was actually more amazing to me that it took less time in Mississippi than it seems to be taking in New York and St. Louis. Seems like it should be an easier job in the cities, and with what had to be a lot less destruction.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

USe the engine-block heater and save five minutes

Draft saved Draft deleted