1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate NYcentric media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I hate how New York centric the national media is. Nothing is news until it happens in NY, it seems. For example, 20,000 customers without power in NY is a main headline on cnn.com:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/22/ny.blackouts.ap/index.html

Meanwhile, in my hometown of St. Louis, hardly a widespot-in-the-road town by the way, more than 500,000 people have lost power after two bad-ass storms in two days. Any mention on any national news? I saw one story on yahoo.com, and that was it. Now maybe I've missed some of the national stories, but I know that if the same thing happened in NYC (and by that, I mean if a storm knocked out power to 500,000 people, let alone the same percentage of people) it would lead the national news for a week.

Just like how when a snowstorm makes its way across the country, dumping two feet of snow on everyone, it doesn't make a peep nationally until it hits NYC.

Rant over.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Funny, I'm in NYC, and I have seen plenty about the St. Louis storms and power outages. It certainly made the news here.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I can't speak to this particular rant, but I hate the mindset that nothing outside of NYC matters, unless maybe it happens in LA.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, we don't care about anything outside of L.A., either. The difference is, we're three hours behind so everybody else is asleep when shit happens out here. :D

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Things that happen in NY get more coverage because most major media is in NY. So the people handling the coverage are usually personally affected, plus they can pretty much walk outside and cover the story.

Way of the world.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Substitute "Toronto" for "NY" and you'll have an idea of what it's like for the 25 million Canadians who don't live in the CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You mean to tell me there was a power outage in St. Louis?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

St. Where?

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

You mean there's more to Canada than the area around the QEW?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is your problem, Double J. If you'd all learn how to spell center correctly, Toronto would cease to exist.

11. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I thought NY never slept.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted