1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate my recorder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 21, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I now use the recorder on my iPhone. It saves me having to carry around a separate recorder and it downloads easily to my iTunes. I also got a $10 microphone that plugs into the audio jack so it picks up the sound really well.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Same thing has happened to me with my RCA recorder (the same one I've seen a thousand reporters use) twice in the last three weeks, the thing started repeating about five seconds of stuff over and over again about midway through playback and never continued to the end of the file. I was OK but if that had happened with a couple other sources, I'd have been in big trouble.

I bought the thing in January and am thinking about exchanging it for a new one.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This sounds perfect for Trey, since I know he loves his iPhone.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Fixed. :D

I have an iPhone recorder app. It's nice, but I've had recordings go poof because the phone rang during an interview.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I put mine on airplane mode so it can't happen.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You don't ignore them. You just don't answer, then immediately text me a reason why you didn't answer.

"Working."
    "Not in a talking mood."
    "Hate you."

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hate my generation.
    -- Cracker

8. My batteries went dead today early in a long phone interview.

AAAAAARRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

One of the reasons II went digital: One too many tapes got eaten by the tape recorder's capstan.

Plus, the weight and size savings were nice since I could just put the digital recorder into a shirt or pants pocket.

10. Trey Beamon

Thanks, John.

I rarely fly, so I never bothered to figure out the story behind airplane mode.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Turns off all radio transceivers on the phone, including Bluetooth.

You could, for example, play Texas hold'em without worrying about screwing up the navigation systems, as claimed by some in the aviation industry.

12. Trey Beamon

I usually safe the hate for a later text. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted