1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate Halloween. 2011 Edition.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Oct 30, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I just don't get it. 'Hey, let's hang this gross thing from the tree and pretend we dug up Grandpa! And throw the stuffed dead Grandma corpse over by the rose bushes! Hah! Stick an axe in her head!!'

Then you send the children out in disguises to beg from strangers. 364 days a year you tell the kids to stay away from strangers and unknown houses...but on this day, they should bang on all the doors in the neighborhood demanding candy. Dressed as dead ninja demons covered in blood, or worse, Britney Spears.

I'm sure this is an issue from my childhood, when all the girls were Marcia Brady or Laurie Partridge....and my mother made me dress as characters from musical theater or operas. 'Darling, EVERYONE knows Auntie Liang from Flower Drum Song! Now hold still so I can give you Chinese eyes! Wonderful!'

Hate it. I cannot be the only one.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Re: I hate Halloween.

You're not, but I'm sure as hell not one of them.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I understand the kid/candy component, but I don't get adults who are heavily into it. Seems like it used to be strictly a kid thing, but now it's been co-opted by adults.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Fine for kids, ridiculous for adults. Then again, I feel the same way about Christmas present exchanging.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I just look at it as a chance to have some fun in a unique way. To each their own. New Year's does nothing for me.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I look at it as a night to dress up and not have to be completely an adult for a couple of hours. Granted, I'll be working a moonwalk in a Pooh costume at the "Fall Festival" at church, but it'll be so much fun because the kids will just love having a Pooh bear there.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with you, 21.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't like New Year's, but not for any of the bullshit that happens during it.

Halloween sucks. I'm the guy who plans on going somewhere from 6-10 p.m., so I don't have to answer my door for the begging kids. I loved it when I was a kid, but now I find it annoying.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When the kids lived at home and I could steal all their Kit-Kats, I liked it fine.
    Now I hate it.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love Halloween.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah. ::)

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Jeez Moddy, there's an easy solution there.

Steal Kit Kats from the kids that come to the door. Problem solved.

And I kinda like Halloween. I get birthday presents. For tomorrow, I shall turn 44 years of age.

Not too old to knock off a kid for his Kit Kats, I'll tellyou what.

Draft saved Draft deleted