1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate CNHI!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ADifferentOkie, May 10, 2007.

1. This wonderful chain has put on a hiring freeze, one can only assume to save money.
    I'm not an economist, but I don't understand how you save money by not rehiring when someone leaves.
    If it's an ad person (which they are not hiring at the moment), you are giving up money hand over fist.
    If it's a reporter, you are losing out on local coverage, which certainly plays a part in driving subscribership.
    Does anyone have any idea what they are actually thinking, and if there is some sort of timetable with this?
    And we wonder why papers are losing readers...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We don't wonder; suits do.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This isn't exactly a new trend in the industry.

4. boots

boots New Member

If CNHI has a hiring freeze, then this business is definitely in trouble.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

You hate CNHI? You just got in the back of a very long line!

6. MadDog2020Terp

MadDog2020Terp New Member

Oh, so they are officially in a hiring freeze? Well now it makes sense why they aren't hiring a new sports editor at my paper, forcing me to do the work of two people without a pay increase.

I guess I can't blame the managing editor for being cheap now, it's coming from higher up.

Good thing I was already planning on resigning.

7. My understand is yes, company-wide hiring freeze.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew any more and if anyone had a logical argument why you would ever put a hiring freeze in place.
    It just makes zero sense to me.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

to pump up the bankroll, dog. come on. it's as easy to interpret as it appears.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

I believe the title to my thread about two weeks ago was, "CNHI sucks goat balls!"

We've had the hiring freeze at my CNHI shop in place for almost 9 months now.

Last week, we were put in some kind of emergency costcutting mode that saw 2 pages deducted from our news hole every day, all inside color eliminated, unless a color AD is on that page, any part-timers were reduced to 20 hours a week, and, BEST of all: they started a crackdown on our mileage -- mind you, we are being reimbursed at 20 FUCKING CENTS A MILE!!!! Sorry, lost control there for a second.

Ay my shop, expenses, building wide, are down six percent to budget. However, our wonderful ad department's revenue is 11 percent under "plan."

While papers across the country are losing money, my shop has never, ever had a single month in its 100-plus year history when it failed to turn a profit.

I need a barf bucket... quickly, please. Shit...

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I worked at a CNHI rag for four years and with the hiring freeze, no pay raises (thanks to health insurance increases I was getting paid the same when I left as when I started), mileage rates and more, that company is definitely on my angry list.

11. One of the reasons I left CNHI was the crappy mileage amounts they paid.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Evil...since CNHI was my last journalistic employer, it made my career change two years ago that much easier.

Draft saved Draft deleted