1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate car buying

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jan 17, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We bought two cars in 2012/13. They were both straight cash deals, so this may or may not apply to your circumstances. I negotiated them both the same way.

1) Know what you want -- exactly what you want. Make, model, exact package on the car. We only visited dealerships to test drive cars and once we knew what we wanted, we had no intention of stepping foot into a dealership again. 2) Know the invoice price of the car you want -- with the exact options you want. 3) If possible, try to get a handle on what the going dealer incentive package they are giving on the car. It's nearly impossible to know for sure, and can differ from dealer to dealer, but do as much Internet research as you can to see if you can figure how little over (or under) the invoice price they are selling for. Also, sites such as Truecar.com give you a range of how much people have paid for the car you want with the options you want. You can hit the bottom of the range if you put in just phone work.

In our case, we were paying cash -- which a lot of dealers don't want to deal with, because financing is their actual way of making money. They don't make a ton from selling cars. But the phone calls in my case went this way: I want this car, with this package. This is how much I am willing to pay -- everything included (you can add an asswipe fee if it suits you, but the bottom line cost, minus tax and title, needs to be $X). I am not coming into your dealership (what they want to make it into something emotional, which gives them control). I am calling every dealer reasonably nearby. First one who has the car I want at the right price with no BS gets a deal. Fax through a contract today and I will give you a credit card for a deposit and be in within a day with the rest of your money.

My experience: On popular cars, it is difficult to get the exact options you want in inventory. But if they have a car that is close -- with a bunch of factory options you don't want, but they have to keep attached to the car they have in inventory -- they will still meet your price and just throw the useless options you would never have chosen to pay for.

You will have to go through a bunch of bullshit artists, to find someone ready to work on this terms, but I did find dealers who understood that I was really going to hang up the phone and move on to the next. It just takes one who, for whatever his reasons, is ready to take about a 3 percent profit over his invoice cost minus incentives -- for a no hassle sale that moves a car quickly. And I found that both times within a week or two.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the call or email method of buying a car, but it can work for some if you're patient.

If you're going to go into a dealer, there are three things to remember:

1--Be prepared to spend the day. Don't go in on your way to work.

2--Be prepared to walk out at any time (Others have said this already). There's always another car.

3--You can negotiate on everything, all day long. Car price, trade value, price of add-ons like extended warranties. Everything's negotiable until you sign the final bill of sale. Then you're done, so be sure you're happy. Remember No. 2--you can walk out at ANY time until you've signed the final bill of sale.

3. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

A couple of years ago, I went to a dealer to buy a new car.

Knew what I wanted, what it should cost, etc.

Took a test drive in a new car and liked it quite a bit.

Gave the salesman the keys to my trade-in and told him if he met my price I was prepared to buy right then.

I even had a checkbook in my shirt pocket.

He said he had to get the car appraised and would be right back.

After waiting 90 minutes and getting to the point where I was pissed, finally someone comes up to me with my keys and says, "I'm really sorry Mr. Frosty, but the only two guys who can appraise your car are at an auction buying used cars. We'd be happy to set up another appointment for you."

I left there, went down the street, bought a new car and was in and out in an hour.

The salesman from the first place called that night and said, "The managers are back and we'd be happy to set up an appointment."

He was stunned when I told him I bought elsewhere.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Consumer Reports would have saved you from making all those calls.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/what-is-a-build-buy-report/index.htm

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

king, I may be too late with this, but have you actually driven any of the cars you mentioned considering? Between the Chevy Spark and Sonic, I've seen much better reviews for the Sonic. Haven't seen a lot of great reviews on the Versa. I've heard good things about the Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta, though both would probably cost a bit more than either of the Chevys or the Versa.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

When I was growing up in the 1980s, it seems like everyone made small trucks. Chevy S-10/GMC S-15, Ford Ranger, plus ones from Mazda, Nissan/Datsun, Dodge, Toyota and Mitsubishi. In a way I guess you could say Subaru as well with the Brat.
    The 1991 GMC Syclone was the coolest small truck ever, though not the most practical.

7. The Big Ragu

That Consumer Reports service is TrueCar's service branded with Consumer Report's name on it. If you put in the specs you want at TrueCar for the cars we bought and waited for solicitations from dealers, you wouldn't have gotten the pricing we got. It's fine if you want to do it more easily, but you will pay up for that ease.

The purpose of the phone was simply that it wastes as little time as possible -- if you are holding to a price, don't waste any more time with dealers than you have to UNTIL you have a contract in hand. They do return phone calls, so there is no need to ever waste your time walking into a dealership.

Know what you want. Have a really good idea of the dealer cost (this is the key, but doable with all the info available nowadays), so you can make a tough, but not entirely unreasonable offer. Leave as little meat on the bone as possible where someone may be ready to move the car you are looking for so it isn't sitting in inventory for them. The time a car sits in inventory is money lost for them.

Be prepared to have to make a bunch of phone calls to find the one dealer ready with the car you want.

I don't have a ton of experience buying cars, but that strategy worked pretty well twice within the last year and a half -- getting us pricing that TrueCar's site put in its "unusually low price" category (actually at prices the bars on the chart suggested you shouldn't be able to get).

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does anybody actually enjoy the process of buying a new car?

9. sostartled

sostartled Member

I loved the idea of a new car, doing the research, and possibly one-upping the dealership. First two -- good to go. Last one -- not so much.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How exactly do you know that?

The wife and I stated we wanted to but a certain make and model, and the dealerships, 12-15 of them, kept sending prices via email. They had no idea what we wanted to spend. One undercut the others by 15% as an out the door price. We were not trading in and 0% financing was offered by the parent company.

The process took 90 minutes.

11. The Big Ragu

How do I know what? That you can negotiate a better deal on your own than 99.9 percent of people get through TrueCar and other websites that broker for dealers?

I know because I did a ton of research about how those sites operate, the pricing dealers offer via those sites. ... and more importantly, what the actual dealer costs were for the cars we wanted, which is all that mattered in knowing what the best price they can possibly sell a car is and keep the lights at the dealership on.

It's common sense. TrueCar is nothing more than a broker for dealerships. They get paid a commission on the sale by the dealer if the dealer makes a sale based on a lead that TrueCar sent them. Logically, the money that TrueCar takes as a middleman is money that you could have saved negotiating on your own without a middleman. That alone should tell you paid SOMETHING for the ease of your 90 minute transaction. But on top of it, dealers know the type of customer they typically get via those sites and try to maximize their chance of a sale at the highest price possible. As a result, they are basically looking to give what most customers perceive as a "good" price, but they are not giving their rock bottom price.

For what its worth, TrueCar (and that Consumer Reports service, which is simply TrueCar) takes your info and then sends only three dealer quotes. So I'd be curious as to why 12 to 15 dealers to responded to your TrueCar/Consumer Reports inquiry.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's also the case that if you got "0% financing" for your car, it's almost certain you paid too much for that amortization schedule to look as if you weren't being charged interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted