1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate all-area teams and POY awards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Faithless

Faithless Member

Something that always ticked me off about POY awards --- Seeing a kid we picked as POY for our region go to a D-I program, and listed in his/her bio are all of their high school conference/district/state honors and even some all-state recognition from the statewide paper ... but there's no mention of our POY award. It made me want to have a recall vote on the POY and strip 'em of the title.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Gotta send out an e-mail for nominations for cross country tonight. This thread reminded me of that.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Ugh.

Our sports editor picked co-POYs for both boys AND girls basketball last year... When I worked with him I told him how much I abhorred that, and after the switch to news I gave him so much shit last winter when he did it. Nothing screams out 'too lame to make a decision' like co-POYs... If you're not going to make the tough decisions, why put together a team highlighting the best of the best?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

With that time of year coming around, I'm so glad I no longer have to deal with the phone calls and e-mails.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

For everyone one person you make happy, you piss off 10.

Nor am I a fan of co-POYs. Only once in 15-20 POY picks I've made have I selected co-POYs. It was a case of a pair of forwards on the same soccer team. As a duo, they were among the best in the state. When one wasn't in for injury/card, the other struggled.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

We just did soccer. One statewide Ms. Soccer type deal, one MVP for each of the classifications.

No co-anything.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We once had a prep golfer in our area who barely played half her school's matches because of her junior schedule. She then got upset in the districts and her team didn't go further, so she didn't play in the regionals and the state tournament. Talent-wise, she was clearly the best golfer, but not the best high-school golfer, in high school matches, that year. When another kid was picked player of the year, Mom went ballistic. Demanded that her junior victories in the fall and the previous summer be taken into account. Refused to understand when we didn't.

By the way, I'm starting a top-three list of worst parents, by sport. Here's mine:

1. swimming
    2. soccer
    3. golf

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're more charitable than I. I'd have picked neither since one couldn't do well without the other.[/end assholish rant]

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Don't forget little league baseball and softball and high school softball Hondo. Those parents have gotta be up there.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

On our all-area tennis team only the MVP and two others had winning records.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, once you include little league and youth sports, you have to include freshman and jv and it becomes too combersome.
    Thats why he leaves the list at varsity only. You include one, you include them all and they work so hard at what they do.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

No lacrosse in your area?

Draft saved Draft deleted