1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Guess They Owe MoveOn An Apology

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Apparently, it's Ok to criticize generals now.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/14/sanchez.react/?iref=mpstoryview

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Retired generals are fair game. Dude should have spoken out at the time. Everyone knows how W loves to hear bad news so he can go fix it.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, Sanchez was last there in 2004, so he obviously knows what's going on now.

And MoveOn called Patraeus a traitor. That's hardly the same as disagreeing with Sanchez.

But then those pants on fire are a daily part of your wardrobe, aren't they, Fenian?

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

No, it didn't. The ad called him untrustworthy.

But nice try.

To follow your own advice, try reading the ad itself, not what others have told you about it:

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Move_On_Petraeus_NYT.PDF

Oh, and check your pants drawer.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I love how you can get offended at a rather witless pun and yet get a hard on from a woman who calls people "fags" and criticizes grieving 9/11 widows.

Nice.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Sanchez comments caused Bill O'Reilly to almost break his neck as he contorted himself around the general's comments. Paraphrasing: The general sucks for criticizing the war plan now, but is dead on in his assessment of the left-wing media only writing bad news about Iraq. For proof, O'Reilly cited liberal WashPost report about crippled terrorist presence in Iraq.

7. Not within an area code of the truth.
    Silly little fellow.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

9. old_tony

General "Betray Us."

One who betrays his country is a traitor.

Not even any smoke in my pants drawer.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/betray

be·tray -- verb (used with object) 1. to deliver or expose to an enemy by treachery or disloyalty: Benedict Arnold betrayed his country. 2. to be unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling: to betray a trust.

Please to cite any passage in the MoveOn ad which charges or implies definition No. 1.

This might be hard for you; the ad contains the complete, unedited text. There is no spliced tape or scrubbed transcript, so I'm aware that might mean a lack of credibility in your eyes.

And while we're on the subject of Limbaugh, you must be saying, then, that he was calling Chuck Hagel a traitor when he referred to him as "Senator Betrayus."

Yep, used the word betray, so that's gotta be the case.

11. old_tony

I really hope you don't work in the media business if your reading capability is so bad.

Rush accused Hagel of betraying Republicans, clearly definishing No. 2. MoveOn accused Patraeus of betraying the country. Clearly definition No. 1.

Please tell me you work in a factory and stumbled upon this site by accident.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Sigh.

Read your last post. Read your sig. Then, don't even bother trying to continue in this argument with any modicum of credibility.

However, I'll humor you.

My reading capability is proficient enough that I know when my question isn't being answered.

Again, I ask: Please to cite one passage in the MoveOn ad which suggests that Petraeus is actively colluding with an enemy of the United States (before taking shots at someone else's comprehension, I suggest that you re-read definition No. 1). I'll even cut and paste the ad text for you:

Oblivious to the realities on the ground. Fudging statistics. Possessing no clear plan.

These are the accusations that you believe MoveOn is equating Petraeus with Benedict Arnold?

Jesus Christ, that's not much different than the Republicans are saying about Sanchez.

Wow.

I understand, though -- if my case was as flimsy as yours, I'd also try to mask it by lobbing childish insults at other posters.

Besides, I'm sure there are many factory workers who do their own homework to come up with educated opinions on the issues of the day. Some journalists, meanwhile, believe that Ann Coulter offers poignant discourse that should be taken seriously.

I know which people I'd rather have stumble upon this site.

Draft saved Draft deleted