1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got laid off from my paper...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stix, Oct 7, 2008.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Very true.

I was mad at first, but the way things were going, this was inevitable. I was one of the unfortunate ones to get the gas, but working for this company sucks, and a lot of co-workers feel that way, too.

I guess I got the kick in the ass I needed to pursue other things. Have to look at it that way.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wouldn't key a car but I'd think long and hard about leaving a piss puck under somebody's desk.

When you get something taken away from you, then you usually get something else in return.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Special place in Hell, Stix. Special place in Hell. I wish I could tell you this was an isolated occurrence, but other posts on the thread already show it isn't. I can almost guarantee you'll be treated better as a bartender than as a sportswriter, both by your customers and your employer.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You guys sure are compassionate.

I wouldn't wish anything terminal, but there are a few people I wouldn't mind seeing do battle with a plague, locusts or itchy boils on their skin for a week or so.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If you're gone, what's the problem with naming the paper?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My condolences, Stix.

Classless firings aren't limited to our world, though. I talked to an athlete a couple months ago who lost his job via e-mail message. It's pathetic, all these devices we have to communicate these days yet more and more people are truly terrible communicators.

7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Cause there's a chance I could be hired back if certain buyouts are accepted. A slim chance, but a chance nonetheless.

Not sure if I would even want to come back, but I'd just prefer to leave the name of my paper undisclosed for now.

Plus, there are a lot of great people here. As the situation unfolds, I'll probably see fit to name the paper. If it helps, it's a mid-sized daily (about 25,000) in a fairly metropolitan area between two large cities.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Best wishes to you, Stix. There will probably be others from your shop (and dozens of others at any given time) following in your footsteps, so look at it this way---you get a headstart on them on the job market.

Do well, stay focused, but also enjoy life a bit more.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Stix--lemme guess, but you don't have to answer---Arlington Daily News or Mid-Cities News in Texas.

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

No, much further north than Texas. But it's about the same size as those papers, maybe a tad smaller.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Freelance, freelance, freelance....

12. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I do plenty.

Draft saved Draft deleted