1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Got Fired

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by editorhoo, Nov 29, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i was under the impression that right to work vs. at-will really comes down to requiring union membership.

2. #52 Psycho T

#52 Psycho T Member

Being a current employee of editorhoo (one of his part-timers), I was at utter shock when I received the call that he no longer worked at our newspaper. My eyes teared up because he gave me a shot at working after coming out of a sticky situation at a former newspaper.

I really went to editorhoo's newspaper for two big reasons and one was editorhoo. Like he's said, he's won numerous awards that seemingly no one cared about (I didn't know he had won these until he told me a couple weeks ago). Editorhoo is a hell of a writer and I really connected with him. I even told a person Friday night I was supposed to be his protege.

I really hope editorhoo continues his journalism career. I would LOVE for him to be "re-hired" at our newspaper but he addressed that earlier in this thread.

I haven't really been able to connect with others on our staff like I did with editorhoo. He liked the music I liked and knows how to text someone. :)

I wish the best to editorhoo, and who knows, maybe someday I'll get to work with him and continue to be his protege!

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Employment at Will States
    Employment at will is a legal concept referred to as the Doctrine of Employment at Will. It essentially means that, in the absence of employment contracts that indicate otherwise, employers generally may fire employees for any reasons, no reasons and even unfair reasons, as long as they are not illegal reasons.

Right to Work Definition:
    The concept of Right to work is related to whether or not an employee must join a union. With the passage of the 1947 Taft Hartley Act (the National Labor Relations Act), states could decide whether they wanted to be:

Closed Shops
    An employee in a company with a union must join the union and pay dues,

Open Shop
    An employee in a company with a union does not have to join the union or pay dues, but is still considered part of the bargaining unit.

Agency Shop
    An employee in a company with a union must pay does but is not otherwise subject to the union

States that have open shops are considered "right to work" states, because employees have a right to work, even if they don't join the union.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

So basically, ANYONE can be fired for no reason at all?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I had always figured that was the way it is. Just sounds so cold.

6. txsportsscribe

well, except if the employee falls under the protection of eeoc.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know about that. From the definitions being bandied about, I'd say everyone is fair game.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Federal anti-discrimination provisions apply, even in the pro-America parts of America. Of course discrimination must be proved through the legal system so that means anyone who feels they got fired for race, etc. can make a case but must prove it though the usual, labyrinthine channels.

Editorhoo, I hope you and that woman hit it off and that your Christmas present from life will be you boning it like you own it on some cold winter night when everyone's back at the paper churning out bullshit while yet more hours of their life slip away. Meanwhile, you're cozy in bed and tapping hot ass.

"Barn's burned down but now I can see the moon," etc.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This sucks. Maybe don't get mad. Get even. Go start writing more for the other paper. You're obviously good enough.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh and if you've been fired, you are entitled to your last check within 24 hours.

If you didn't get it, go in and demand they cut you a check by EOB.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

That final check, is it a full check?

12. txsportsscribe

not true everywhere

Draft saved Draft deleted