1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Forgot My Wife's Birthday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Ok, let me answer some questions. Zebra, she was not angry so there was no farce. Shockey, yes, June 10th is a nice, round number, one I have remembered since 1985 (so says the engraving on the jewelery box I gave her way back then.) I have no excuse for why I forgot today, other than to say It just hadn't occurred to me yet. It would've, I swear, it would of, eventually.

And someone asked why I emailed her instead of talking to her on the phone. We do that everyday. While I am doing my show, I don't have time to talk her and after, she doesn't have a lot of time to talk to me. It jsut works out better that way.

So, here's what I will do. I bought her a new mop because I noticed the floors getting a little dingy (I swear to god I am kidding) We will go to dinner at her favorite restaurant tonight. I have met with her in person today and she is not angry. She did promise that this would not go away soon, but I only have myself to blame.

As far as the no gifts thing goes, she means it. We have not exchanged gifts for several years. We prefer to use that money for things like the cars and the house. Last year, she said she didn't want cards anymore because it's a waste of money since she just throws them away. She meant that too. But every year, I take a few min utes during my show, play Sammy Kershaw's "Love of My Life" and talk about how much she means to me. I did that this year as well, but only after being reminded by a listener.

I think we are gonna be fine.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I think you should probably be the one using the mop, at least the first time.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Since when does "no presents" mean no presents? I'm confused.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I've been there and it damn sure didn't mean NO presents.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

no, when you're "house-poor" and every dime goes to paying bills or impending college tuition, "no presents" means NO PRESENTS. but flowers do not count as a present, in shockeyworld.

my combo birthday present/father's day present (they're 2 days apart this year)? mrs. shockey wrote a check for $25.95 to purchase a bootleg bruce concert (in color)from '78, his best tour, imo.

sorry, moddy, the "house-poor" scenario is one in which the "no presents" rule holds true for some of us. "i love you's" simply must suffice.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Honest, "no presents" really does mean exactly that.

In the last 5 years we have remodeled, the kitchen, put hardwood flooring down in several rooms and added a 500 square foot room with a home theater (62 inch TV baby). She gets what she wants, I get what I want, we just have to save for it first. And we decided that birthday, christmas, and anniversary gift money, would go into those projects.

It works for us, it really does.

That is not to say that I wont be kissing some feet for awhile. :-[

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Get creative. Figure out a line of reasoning that resolves with the problem being her fault.
    That's how women do it.

8. lono

lono Active Member

Among other parts.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

RIP, Dirk.

RIP.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

He's about to be on the hook for half, so it really doesn't matter.
    :)

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Dirk -

Please, for the love of all that is good and decent, DO NOT buy the woman a mop.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, rent one of them fancy floor polishers.

Draft saved Draft deleted