1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Forgot My Wife's Birthday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Buy a 2009 calendar and circle June 10 now?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Someone (no names but ends with a 70) forgot my birthday this year. He knew it the day before, but that morning, he just forgot. Had a lot on his mind, a busy day, whatever.

My first thought was to say nothing, ever, because he would feel even worse when he finally remembered. But I couldn't help myself, and by noon, it was wrecking my day. Sent him an email along the lines of 'talk to you later, going to lunch with so-and-so for my birthday.'

I don't think he could have felt worse, and thank God he didn't try to make it better with apology gifts (ie, stuff you obviously wouldn't buy if you hadn't fucked up). For someone who is extremely generous and thoughtful every day, he just doesn't treat birthdays as national holidays. I decided I could let it ruin my entire day fighting and being bitter, or I could let him apologize--profusely and repeatedly--and get on with our life. I guarantee you it will not happen again.

Dirk, there's nothing you can say or do to change what happened, so just hope that your past performance as a good guy has earned you some equity. I hope your wife can take the high road, call you an idiot, and just have a great day.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's a compassionate guy, 21. I think he just didn't want to remind you that you are really old. Sometimes what we don't say is as kind as what we do say.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Dirk, just be strong and silent and real, real nice.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Dirk has been missing from his thread for a while. I sure hope he didn't go and crash the co-worker lunch. Bad idea.

Seriously, bad idea...

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe he bought an entire hothouse.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

okay, this begs to be asked: you've been married for 21 years, i presume known her longer than that. JUNE 10 is a nice, round number, not hard to remember. how he eff did this happen?

i mean, mrs. shockey's b-day is july 23. always has been. our anniversary is julyy 22, much to her chagrin -- the dates are too close together -- but it helps me remember 'cause the numbers are sorta random.

BUT JUNE 10? wtf?

i feel for you, bro.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shockey, I know you know better than to buy her a birthday/anniversary gift.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, those seats in the new Yankee Stadium aren't going to just pick themselves...

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's true, but there are a lot of times when I'm not conscious of what date it is today.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Boy, am I glad LJB didn't have a box of condoms after the picture of the dog.

Draft saved Draft deleted