1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I, for one, welcome our new overlords (from ESPN)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 15, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There are times, too often, that we watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, while eating dinner. smh

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ah. Gotcha. Wonder what the price difference is per month between that package and the top-line package. I recently switched to FIOS and got the top-line package and it was very cheap compared to what I used to have with DirecTV.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I would easily believe that in any random group of 100 people, I'm the only person who doesn't have cable or satellite.

4. silent_h

silent_h Member

I recently wrote about everything that's being discussed here - and moreover, the Atlantic writer who penned the article in the first post was one of the people I spoke to while reporting. Derek Thompson. Pretty sharp. He's been writing good stuff on ESPN, bundle pricing, etc. for a while. His earlier magazine piece "Prisoners of Cable" is also worth a read.

Anyway, I'm going to share the link to my because I think it will help inform the discussion:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/53498716

My overall take: an a la carte world would hurt - but not fatally wound - ESPN. Still a lot of money to be made, and they have positioned themselves to survive regardless.

However, I do think it could have a pretty significant impact on the amount of money sloshing around sports in general. At the very least, we'd get a much better idea of what sports fans are actually willing to pay for programming.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a very good article. And I would love to see ESPN holding the bag on its MNF contract when a la carte comes in and ESPN finds out not all that many people consider ESPN indispensable. But I don't think a la carte is ever happening. Too much lobbying money against it.

This is a lot like newspapers -- everything was great until there was an actual way to measure the impact of ads. All of the sudden the "250,000 customers!!!!!!!" theoretically seeing that back-page ad instead became a reality-based number.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oops, I forgot Olbermann is back at ESPN. I might have to pony up then.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

What do people in the U.S. pay per month for the average cable package? I think I'm paying about $80-85 (including the cost of the HD DVR receiver), and I don't get any 'pay' channels like HBO Canada or anything like that.

I know plenty of people who in the past 2-3 years have said fuck it and scrapped cable, choosing to watch over-the-air shows online on the networks' sites, and to simply download cable shows. I'm considering it myself.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Also great when you can watch pretty much any game, any sport at firstrow or find websites that upload shows within minutes after they're on TV.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Are business accounts -- bars, restaurants, hospitals, hotels -- included among "households" or would those be additional accounts helping reach that 100 million number?

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Proof-positive that vegetarians DO think they're better than everyone else [/crossthread] :D

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I was Fox Sports One I would have tried to label ESPN as "your dad's cable sports station" and gone out of my way to staff shows with people under 40, similar to the way ESPN launched their magazine 20 years ago.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If I didn't have to as part of my cable line-up (U-Verse), i wouldn't pay a dime to keep ESPN. Or any sports channels, for that matter, now that Fox Soccer doesn't have the BPL.

Draft saved Draft deleted