1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Dread Sports Reporters Today, If Rhoden's On It

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, May 4, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does that mean we need a Tomb of the Unknown Horse?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It could be built in the shape of a bar of soap.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Finally, a sense of humor surfaces.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

A number I heard mentioned this morning (I think it was on Mike and Mike) is that an average of two horses a day have to be put down due to racing injuries . . . the rate is 1.6 per 1,000 starts.

If that number is accurate, then Rhoden had the right idea. Again, though, he needed to beef up the column with facts instead of the trite "even one death is too many."

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, that's how many suffer career-ending injuries. Not LIFE ending injuries. Not all injuries require a horse to be killed.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I believe Bob Ley, on the early Sports Center yesterday, said that 700 racehorses are killed in a year due to injury.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Somebody just told me that Rhoden was on NPR with Andy Beyer, spouting more of his song.

God, the wronger he is, the more tenaciously he abuses us all.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

To be fair, I thought Rhoden got the better of Beyer in their head-to-head.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I don't agree with everything Andy says, but he'll know more about racing after being dead six years than Rhoden will ever know.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but that doesn't preclude Rhoden for being able to score some points on the issue of whether te sport is cruel/inhumane. Though Rhoden went overboard in comparing the thoroughbreds issue to greyhounds repeatedly, he had a valid point somewhat along the lines that very few horses get treated as well as Triple Crown-caliber animals.

And, there is the undeniable point that the horses do not race voluntarily. It might be in their DNA to gallop briskly on a farm from time to time, but not to race at maximum speed for two minutes at a stretch while at the business end of a jockey's crop and with a 120-pound load onboard.

Draft saved Draft deleted