1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't know how many times I have to say it -- Rick Freaking Reilly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rick Shanley, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I've seen little evidence that Reilly can think in the last 5-7 years either. 75% of the time he is just trying to be funny, and he was once better at it than anyone, these days Simmons makes me laugh far more often and more smoothly. Reilly's culture references are brutal, he sounds like your friend's Dad who still thinks he's a teenager. I rarely crack a smile. His antics in last year's issue when they each took turns writing fiction about the boxer were embarrassing, and I'd have been pretty pissed if I were one of the other writers. I'd love to see him assigned to cover The Masters this year. Back to basics, make him work a little, see if he still has it.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I love the Sportswriter of the Year nods. It sounds impressive, but isn't it some guys in North Carolina that vote on it? It's not like it's writer's associations? I've seen some real suckpots win it year in and year out. How does Reilly win it over Verducci? Or McCallum?

3. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

screw the swimsuit column, his column in the regular issue this week was pretty funny, made me laugh out loud, almost as much as after reading all the people in this thread who wish they could be half the writer Reilly is talking about how much he sucks ...

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, who's Reilly -- Rick Shanley or sports scrub ???

5. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

trust me, If I was reilly I wouldn't waste my time talking to you losers, instead I'm just one of you losers :)

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And don't worry, buckweaver is really Sandy.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Obviously. ;D

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's good to be a member; membership has its privileges. :)

Guy - Good points on Reilly. I'd love to see him at the
    Master's, in his element. That would be great, and it
    would let everyone see where his writing's at.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I don't have any problem with Reilly, honestly. I was more pointing out that Simmons is always bitching about him in interviews I see with Simmons.

Bill wishes he could be as good a writer as Rick. He isn't, and never will be.

Can you imagine Simmons doing what Reilly did with Sosa?

Oh, yeah. I forgot. That would mean Simmons went to the game, like an actual journalist.

Here's Simmons' latest weaselness -

As has been said, ESPN started their 'Conversation' experiment, where readers could comment on writers' pieces. Simmons first two columns were killed, predictably.

So what does he do? He pusses out and writes everything for the next week in a 'blog' format, not part of the "ESPN Conversation" area where people can comment.

Today, he comes out with his first 'non-blog' column since the Super Bowl.

Oh, yeah, and now ESPN has just finished its 'test run' of ESPN Conversation, and Bill's columns will no longer be part of ESPN
    Conversation.

Total puss. ZERO respect for that. And that's on the heels of not writing about the Super Bowl for a full week after his prediction was wrong.

He's a punk.

10. Well, mercy, young man.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

12. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

If you perceive him as such a punk why do you pay so much attention to his columns?

Draft saved Draft deleted