1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i don't care

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Nov 19, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yay! Byrnesie is back!

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

The last vacation I took was a backwoods excursion, and I didn't witness any media whatsoever. It felt fantasic.

But it wasn't because I don't care. I used to love, and still am interested in, consuming TV/radio/print from wherever in the world I am. I felt so free and easy because, for a short time, I was not reminded daily how dire things have become for American newspapers.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Most of us didn't get into the business to get rich. If that was the goal, we would have been attorneys, scientists or financial planners.

We got into it because we cared. When you have a passion for something, it doesn't die overnight. But, yeah, the corporate smack has just about killed the passion in many of us.

What I'm asking myself is that if all it is is a run-of-the-mill job, why bother? Why not go out and do something and make real money if the passion is gone?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's not a run-of-the-mill job to me, even with the bean counters and the suits.

If you ever lose the adrenaline rush of the last 30 minutes before deadline, you should get out.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, if you have the skill set and connections to go out and make real money doing something else, more power to you. Most of us, I suspect, do not.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The 30 minutes before is great. Try pushing it to 30 minutes after! It's even rushier!!

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Too busy exhaling for the 30 minutes after.

Why, oh why, did I put myself through this? I envisioned myself sitting way up in the press box, watching the game unfold,and then talking to players and coaches about the significance thereof.

Not crapping in my pants at 11:55, wondering when my intern will finish typing the damn prep wrestling agate so I can slop it on the page before the clock strikes midnight (literally as well as figuratively). And having to makeover to correct "rein" to "reign" on page 7. *sigh*

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

eh. smoke crack for the 400th time, and there's less adrenaline in that, too.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, that's the type of stuff that will drive you crazy if you step away from it and look at it on a moment-by-moment basis. Just like it drives me crazy when I'm not leaving for home at 12:15 a.m. because of one college basketball game -- No. 25 Nevada vs. Pacific.

But you can do that with any job, pick piddling little things and make it seem like your life's miserable when it really isn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted