1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I didn't need that money or vacation anyway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 5, 2007.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

If you know you'll need a passport, apply now - BEFORE you book your trip, and the further out, the better. I applied for my passport 4 months in advance, and it still arrived just 3 days before our wedding day. This happens too often, unfortunately. I know someone who did what you did, Rusty, and on a Friday - three days before their trip to Mexico - was told it was still in chicago. He asked if the Chicago offices would be open on Saturday. Person on the phone reassured him that yes, office is open on Saturday. So he drives 4.5 hours to downtown Chicago, arrives like 20 minutes before the opening, only to find out those offices are in fact closed on saturdays. So he waits in the parking lot for like 2 hours until he sees an employee. runs up to the employee and pleads for help. Employee says she'll see what she can do. He waits in vehicle in parking lot another 2 hours. She finally comes out and gives him completed passort. ... a 14-fuckin-hour runaround.

2. I bet. That could have serious implications on tourism for both countries.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm not sure why you went through the hassle of changing the passport. It isn't necessary. You should have just gone on your vacation and then made the change when you came back (if you felt it was that important).

From personal experience, I know that the government will screw you over at any and every opportunity.

Also, not knowing where you live or anything, I will state that you can still drive into Mexico without a passport. You just need a driver's license and your birth certificate.

4. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Same with Canada, just a driver's license. ... don't even think you need birth certificate right now, unless a newborn is on board.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ever since laws changed in January, the passport horror stories are ridiculous. Especially now with everyone planning summer vacations. People still don't understand they need a passport any time they leave the US and return, at least via air. Mexico, Caribbean, cruises, Canada....get the passport.

Best bet if you haven't applied, pay extra for the 'expedited' service, it definitely comes faster.

Rusty, you'd be better off going to the nearest federal passport office and standing in the lines and demanding service, than forfeiting the vacation. Bring extra pictures and forms and birth certificate, everything you'd need for a new passport. It sucks, but you can get it done.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, you need a birth certificate. You need something proving that you are a US citizen and just having a driver's license won't do that.

So, if you are driving to and from Canada or Mexico, you won't need the passport unil Jan 1, 2008.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I didn't need the birth certificate, only a driver's license, on all three border crossings to Canada a year ago.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I would go with purchasing a flight to the nearest border airport, renting a car and driving over the border into Mexico. Sure, it might add to the cost but at least you would be able to go on the vacation.

The US & Canada's government websites state that you are required to have "photo ID and a birth certificate." You seem to have gotten lucky with the border guard. (I use a passport, so I have never actually tested this policy.)

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

been to canada twice in last 6 months to visit friends. used driver's license, but had birth cert. on hand for youngun.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Yeah, my wife is making a plan B to drive up to Chicago (we're in southern Illinois -- it's about a 5-6 hour drive) to apply for a brand new passport (because hers is apparently in New Hampshire).

But she's been told that going to the Chicago office is by appointment only, and there are no appointments open between now and Tuesday. And when she asked what she needed to bring with her to apply for a new one (which apparently is an all-day wait), the woman on the phone had no idea.

My wife even got chewed out by a woman on the phone regarding the Chicago office for asking if they make exceptions to the appointment rule for people in circumstances like ours. The woman on the phone told her she needed to quit calling and let the passport service do its job -- she'll get her passport when its done and that's that. My wife was nearly in tears she was so frustrated and pissed off after that, and I can't blame her.

And besides the horrible run-around we're getting, the complete incompetance of some of the people is extraordinary. One office that she called moments ago, as I was typing the beginning of this post in fact, she asked for a guy she had talked to earlier who said he would look into the situation for her. The woman on the phone said "Oh, he's at the Podunk City office." Wife: "Isn't that this number? Isn't that who I'm talking to?" Woman: "(Pause) Oh. He'll be back by 3:15. Sorry."

I mean seriously -- how fucking inept and stupid are these people? It's one thing to be so busy you can't handle all the passport applications -- that's somewhat understandable (although you should have been able to anticipate it and hire more people to deal with it, but I digress), but do your employees have be borderline retarded and downright mean on top of it?

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

How much would it have been to rush the passport when you first applied?

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

She had already changed her name on her driver's license, so her govt.-issued ID and her passport, while having photos of the same person, would have different names, and they certainly would frown on that. So it had to be done, unless we just knew in advance (and maybe we should have, and certainly we will now in the future) that we would be grabbing our ankles through this whole thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted