1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I did not want to thread jack the other thread, but I just wanted to mention how lucky...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Paul Shaffer has been to get the Letterman gig.

The guy looks like he has a great time, all the time when he did Letterman. It’s insane to think about all the amazing artists he has played with over the years.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had a decent run at SNL. Didn't realize Belushi dropped him from the Blues Brothers band (movie version). Got his start doing music for a Toronto production of Godspell featuring (get this) Victor Garber, Gilda Radner, Dave Thomas, Martin Short, Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin - well before SCTV.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He was great in Spinal Tap

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

He also drove Canadian pop sensation Robin Sparkles to obsessive behavior, leading to the birth of grunge music in Canada.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I read somewhere, possibly the Miller and Shales oral history, that he was dropped because he worked on Gilda Radner's Broadway show.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of that either. The Blues Brothers had an incredible band on the Briefcase Full of Blues album and Shafer certainly wasn't out of place there

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I so wanted to kick him in the ass.

Huggy likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Rubber Biscuit" is a guaranteed gigglefest for my 6-year-old. OK, me too.

OscarMadison and Huggy like this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He fucked up the timing.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Me, three. Dan Ackroyd may not have been much of a vocalist but he could blow a pretty mean harp.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

I had all three albums. They were a mini-who's who of electric blues.

12. OscarMadison

Back in the late 80s, the ground-breaking ceremony for the Pyramid Arena, "The Big Dig," was attended by as many celebrities as the Memphis glitterati could get. Aykroyd was there along with most of the original band. A nun approached him with matching pairs of sunglasses and asked if he would pose for a picture with her. I can't remember if it was for the local RC hospital or another charity, but the tagline was, "We're on a mission from God." Good on him for doing it. Sorry to say I can't find it online.

Edit: A friend who was there says it's one of those stories that could have happened that way, but they suspect it was another part of Memphis Hoodoo apocrypha. She wants it to be true. So do I.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted