1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I did not know that ... Things You Learned Today Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I watch a lot of game shows, mostly because I seek to learn things I did not know.

One jumped out at me today while watching Cash Cab.

The Associated Press' first combat casualty was at The Battle of Little Big Horn. I didn't know the AP existed at that point so I actually learned two things on one question.

More to come. Feel free to share.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I know now you can't buy alcohol in Connecticut after 9 p.m. (Ha ha IJAG! :D)

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I did not know that boxing referee Mills Lane still cannot speak and his right side is virtually paralyzed, five years after he suffered a stroke.

I'd post a link, but the AP feature on him is embargoed until this weekend. I highly recommend the story.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I did not know Trey Beamon was a human. But that's still yet to be proven, so I guess I haven't learned it yet.

I did not know that Chili's killed off the boneless shanghai wings, which were a bite of heaven.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I'll allow it!

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is it the story by Steve Carp that was in the Las Vegas Review-Journal last weekend?

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, that's the one. You got a link for that? (Site crashes my computer at work.)

9. TheSportsPredictor

Great story:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/34166084.html

10. jps

jps Active Member

don't have one here and, honestly, kind of miss the joint, but sad news. loved those things.

11. jps

jps Active Member

though, to add, learned the other night that Magellan was not, in fact, the first man to circumnavigate the globe. thought he had.

12. TheSportsPredictor

I didn't learn it today, but I learned Sunday that the guy who wrote all the hits off the first Gin Blossoms album was booted from the band just before the album was released b/c he was a raging alcoholic. Then he killed himself when the band blew up.

Draft saved Draft deleted