1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I destroyed one of my collarbones, Saturday.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Talk to a lawyer too... You're going to have a shitload of bills for surgery and rehab and whatnot and you need to find out what your options are.

2. Broke my right collarbone riding my bike as a kid. Ended up changing boxing style to southpaw and learned to play pool with left hand because of the injury.

Still do both left handed to this day. I broke the collarbone in the 4th grade.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was much happier with the doctor I saw today.

New X-rays were taken that revealed a more complex fracture. The bone is in three pieces.

Unlike the other doctor, he actually had me take my shirt off.

Surgery is scheduled for Monday.

As for legal action to recover any medical expenses, one of the reasons I work at a real job (if you can call anything in newspapers a real job) instead of running around in the woods looking for my innermost soul is that working allows me to have insurance. And insurance is bought for exactly these sorts of situations.

Anytime a bicyclist hops on a bike, he or she is assuming certain amounts of risk. The park in which I was riding has trails that are open and intended for a fairly wide variety of uses. Bicyclists, runners, walkers and loiterers are there.

The guy walking the dogs could have had better control of them, but they were on leashes. And, for my part, I came up behind them. Because they were off the path as I approached, I thought they would be out of the way or I would have slowed down much sooner. But, the wind was at my back, I was enjoying the stride, and I guessed wrong.

Luckily, I hit neither of the dogs, so they didn't have to pay for mistakes that weren't really theirs.

Next time, I'll slow down sooner. Perhaps next time the guy will be more alert and have better control of the dogs.

I think I need to be content in just paying my deductible, doing what I need to do to get put back together and remember what I've learned next time I have the wind at my back and one more lap to go.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wow! Someone taking responsibility for their actions and accidents.
    Bravo! Way to not try to get some sleezeball TV commercial lawyer to sue the poor person that happened to take their dog for a walk!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Glad you're covered... Good luck with the surgery...

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you're covered! And I'm sorry if it sounded like I was implying you should sue the dog owner or something like that. Just hoped that the dog owner had copped to their share of the responsibility.

I agree that we assume some level of risk every time we get on our bikes. Probably why I avoid public mixed use paths after 8 AM. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted