1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'I Covered the Braves for a newspaper that didn't exist'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 5, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well if you didn't have to pay attention and look for storylines to write under deadline, who wouldn't want the best access to athletes and free food?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Now that Otis is no longer with us, I'm thinking there's a much better chance the MDJ will maintain a consistent editorial philosophy.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now that I'm a private citizen, I go to games on my own dime, but if I run into an SID person I know, they often ask if I want a credential. I won't sit in the press box, but I hate to turn down free food.

TyWebb likes this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

When I was a fan some 30+ years ago, I never once wanted to sit in the pressbox, eat free hot dogs and go to the locker room of a bunch of naked sweaty 22 year-olds. It's disturbing that I do it now but at least I get paid.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I get the last part. They always leave the amount of man ass you see off the job descriptions. But really? When you were just a fan, you had no interest in getting one of the best seats in the building and limitless hot dogs and soda - for free? The only drawbacks I see are no cheering and no booze, which admittedly might be dealbreakers for me these days.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Had to be Krikorian. Or Big Joe.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Stu Nahan was a dining room champ, too.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Minor league baseball team where I worked part time a couple of seasons had beer in the press box refrigerator. It wasn't good beer, but it was free, cold beer.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My college used to have beer in the press box after football games. I honestly can't remember if anyone else did or not.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Roscablo is Henry Hackett.

(Unfortunately the only copy I could find on YouTube is terrible.)

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

LSU does that. They also open up the big booster suite adjacent to the press box and let the media come in and eat leftovers.

12. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I wonder what the reaction is within the Braves organization. Surely there aren't many from those days still working there, but maybe a few...?

Draft saved Draft deleted