1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can't believe no one has started a thread on this yet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by da man, Jun 30, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hope I'm not D-Bing.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9533205

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/30/BAGULJMU3D18.DTL

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds' personal trainer refused to testify Thursday to the federal grand jury investigating the San Francisco slugger for perjury.

Greg Anderson, who served three months in prison after pleading guilty last year for his role in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid scandal, could be sent back to prison if found in contempt of court for refusing to testify.

A hearing will be held next Wednesday, and Judge William Alsup said he would rule next week on whether Anderson should be found in contempt.

Anderson's attorney, Mark Geragos, said his client should not have to testify because he was the victim of an illegal government wiretap that he said resulted in a recording of Anderson saying he provided Bonds with "undetectable" drugs to help him beat baseball's drug testing program in 2003.

Alsup ruled that the recording was "not a wiretap, but a privately recorded conversation with a witness," and that there was no legal reason for Anderson not to testify.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

We were all waiting for Whitlock to exhale.

3. I was about to give this one a big Ruh-Roh!
    Then I read that last sentence and it sounds like an issue that's going to be litigated from hell 'til breakfast.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't think so. It sounds to me like the judge has already ruled against Anderson and is now starting proceedings to throw his ass in jail until he testifies. Also, if you read the whole story, Anderson's lawyer apparently has attempted other maneuvers to try to wiggle out of having to testify, but the judge has also ruled against them. The lawyer said he will take those arguments up again at the hearing, but what are the odds of the judge reversing himself on that?

5. He may stay in jail but the judge's decision that the taping is "not a wiretap" is the kind of thing you can string out for months at the appeals level. Meanwhile, Anderson doesn't testify.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Geragos? so shouldn't this thread be moved over to the Rita Cosby one?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Here's a question: Didn't Bonds become borderline abusive toward Anderson? (if not over the border...)
    And another: How long would you sit in jail to protect someone who treated you that way? Anderson may know a lot about how steroids work, but he comes off as an absolute idiot otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted