1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I cannot believe Breaking Bad doesn't get more SJ love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

So...has anyone made any sense of this week's opening -- the pool, the teddy bear, the hasmat suits, the windshield, the bodybags?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They foreshadowed it in a previous episode too.

I think the cartel is coming. I think Walt Jr. and Hank are going to get it. Or maybe Skyler and her boss? Or Jesse's girlfriend and her dad? Who knows?

Can't wait to find out. The inner conflict in Walt just fascinates the shit out of me.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Props to them for using TV on the Radio at the end of the episode.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That was a weird episode all the way around. And usually when they have a cryptic opening like that it comes around by the end of the hour, but I don't know what that was about.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Jimmy In-and-Out might not make it out of prison this time.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Several episodes, actually. We've seen the stuffed animal being fished out of the pool; the Hazmat guys putting it in the evidence bag; and now this week's thing.
    I think there's a couple of possibilites:

1) The whole thing is a symbolic mindfuck, showing how the meth trade is slowly destroying Walt and his family. Kind of ties into the scene at the end where he scares the would-be meth dealers out of his territory. It's the same kind of ferocity he was defending his family with a few episodes ago. Now? He's dropping the secret identity to protect his new interest.

2) The whole thing is foreshadowing, and we're seeing bits and pieces of the season finale. The cartel finds out who Walt is, does a drive-by, and kills Skyler and either her boss or Walt Jr. It would be an ending that would allow the series to continue, with Walt taking on more and more of the Heisenberg persona (especially now that he has nothing to live for; kind of back to square one, minus the cancer).
    It'd be a cruel irony that's right in line with this show, while also taking it in a new direction. This thing CAN'T end after only two seasons.

3) A third, off-the-wall possibility: Walt turns his house into a meth lab and there's an explosion. It'd explain the Hazmat suits. And maybe it's foreshadowing the series finale, and the two bodies are Walt and Jesse.

7. Bubbler

The only thing about a drive-by is that it doesn't explain the stuff in the pool. Maybe the cartel broke into the house to whack Walt, he wasn't home, and Skyler and Walt Jr. get killed trying to get away? I dunno.

The teddy bear in the pool implies to me that it came from the baby's room, where Walt keeps his money. Also, is that Skyler's car or Walt's car that's all shot up?

The cartel is going to come into play eventually. That has also been foreshadowed plenty.

8. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I've been following this show since the beginning -- I got my DirecTV hooked up the day for the premiere last year -- and it's always incredibly gripping.

Of all the shows I watch, it's the only one that I have to get myself in the right mood/mindset to watch because it's so engrossing and seems to require all my focus.

And the pacing of everything is so much slower than anything else on TV that it feels like you've just watched two hours of television instead of just the one.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Another good episode.
    Kind of missed Hank, though.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

I knew the neighbor chick would be trouble!

11. Bubbler

I think we know who's going to end up in those body bags now.

It's hard to feel empathy for either Walt or Jesse now. They're both through the looking glass.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hate Jesse now. Loved the way he was heading, showing that he can take on some responsibility (even if it's in a criminal, fucked up way) and having him grow up a little. The dynamic with him moving that way and Walt sliding into criminality was fascinating. Now it's like Jesse is back at square one. Just another meth head wannabe. I kept waiting for him to tell Jane not to shoot up, but he regressed a ton in that episode. And I suppose it's a sign of a great show when you're pissed that the characters did something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted