1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Bought Two CDs Yesterday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've still got probably 300 vinyl albums, and there's not a snowball's chance I'd ever buy another one. What a step backwards.

Possibly exceeded only by going to 8 track. Nothing like having the track change right in the middle of the song....

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

8-track was definitely not the optimum medium for Yes.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think the last CD I bought was the last Arcade Fire. That was almost 3 years ago.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The ice cream truck is parked outside your house?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've gone almost exclusively to the eMusic/iTunes/Amazon mp3 store route for a few years partly for convenience but mostly for space considerations. I've got thousands of CDs and nowhere to put any more.

And unless you've got a stereo that cost thousands and thousands of dollars, plus immaculate vinyl copies of the albums... vinyl kind of sucks. Love the big artwork, hate the crappy sound.

I did get one of these bad boys to transfer my old vinyl directly to mp3:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Dang, I'm too young to be this far behind the times. Bought one last night. Then again, my car stereo can't connect to my iPod, so downloading songs is a bit of a pain.

As for the cost: Other than my five favorite artists, I usually buy massive punk compilations. Most aren't more than $5.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One of the little things that sold me on my car was the auxiliary jack in the dashboard so I can plug my iPod directly into my car stereo.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'll never own an iPod, unless someone buys it for me. I'm content using CDs in the car and at work. I rarely listen to music at home.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

the only CD I've bought this year was the 25th Anniversary edition of "Thriller". Came with a DVD of videos though.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Just a little FYI....Best Buy will price match anything.

Before I buy anything, I check the prices online at Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc. Bring them the prices, they will double check and match it.

I just bought the "Twilight" move for my sister for her birthday last week. It was $24.99 at Best Buy; $13.49 at Walmart and BB matched that price.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

bought the Jayhawks greatest hits CD last week at Best Buy.
    Lots of people were shopping the CD section, for whatever the hell that means.
    I still like CDs even though I have an MP3 player because I can't make it work in my car.
    So that's where I listen to the CDs.
    Thanks to DoubleDown, I listen to last.fm at work, and it is fantastic.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cannot be said enough. My piece of shit computer is on its last toes and I'd be completely screwed if I'd ditched my CDs. I'd have to try and transfer the iPod to the computer, always a tricky and potentially costly endeavor. Instead, once I get my free iPod Touch with my new MacBook (WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!) I can just start anew.

Also count me among those who fill in the holes of their collection with impulse buys at Target or (groan) WalMart. I just got Ratt's "Out Of The Cellar," Skid Row's "Slave to the Grind" and Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" (remastered with an additional CD or DVD...haven't opened it yet b/c I'm waiting on the new computer) for $5 apiece at WalMart. Can't beat that price, even on iTunes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted