1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Bought Two CDs Yesterday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 13, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

iPod > vinyl, CD, cassette, 8-track, etc....

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Until it inevitably conks out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Old fogey confession: I just cannot get into iPod -- the music sounds too tinny or something (I'm no expert, this is just a feeling I get). Also hate earbuds.

So I still buy CDs, mostly from Amazon. But I not only recently went into an independent record shop looking for a particular CD, I went ahead and had the guy order it because it wasn't in stock, and then went back a couple of days later to buy it.

It felt absolutely 1974-ish.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have heard that it depends what you want from your music.

If you want to walk around all day with headphones or play it in your car or on your computer, an Ipod is better because of the convenience.

If you have a four-figure music system in your house, I have heard vinyl is the way to go.

It's something about the binary code on a cd only being able to duplicate only so many sounds.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Vinyl is becoming the hip thing, but I was at a concert recently and the band's albums were going for $20, $25. No thanks.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bingo.

$9 albums in iTunes > $25 vinyl.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Cheap Trick's latest is available on 8-Track!

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I still buy the occasional CD -- maybe about two a month -- as an impulse buy or if something is not available on iTunes/Amazon.

Don't know about you, but I like seeing the physical product (liner notes, CD, even the annoyingly hard-to-open packaging) from time to time.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Vinyl may be the hip thing with the kdis but I bought enough of it back in the day to remember how easily it warps (sometimes because the fucking shrink wrap was too tight), cracks, pops and skips to want any more to do with it. And it took up way more room than CDs.

New Cheap Trick on 8-track is kind of a cool novelty, I bet there are still more than a few 8-track players in the cottages of northern Ontario. JJ probably has one in his living room!

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I still buy CDs form time to time, and I still enjoy hanging out in a good record store and searching for old, new and undiscovered stuff.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If you can stomach the place, Walmart is a pretty good choice for stocking up on essentials/misplaced CDs.

They've really upgraded the selection in the last few years. The other day I bought Steve Miller's Greatest Hits (the more recent, 20-plus track version) and Johnny Cash's Live At Folsom Prison for just $13.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I love Walmart. :D They do have a good selection of classic rock and older music in general, especially compilation-type stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted