1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe the children are our future and it's a bleak outlook with this kid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 3, 2011.

1. For Fuck's sake ...

Paging Starman Justice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11123/1143801-100.stm

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why is he NOT being charged with murder of some sort - at least involuntary manslaughter or something. Had he called the authorities, perhaps the dude is still alive.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why does that story call the 17-year-old an actor?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's cold.

5. Because he didn't actually kill the man. You cannot be charged for something you didn't do. The man died of a heart attack, not because of anything the kid did.

Was the kid wrong to rob the man? Without question. But all he can be charged with is robbery and/or theft, because those were the crimes he actually committed. Leaving the man to die is wrong, but it's not illegal. You cannot legislate morality when a law is not actually broken.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think you could probably get some kind of medical authority to argue the experience of getting robbed could have precipitated/exacerbated the heart attack. Negligent homicide.

He put his hands on the guy -- that's assault.

Hauling an old guy out of a car and dumping him on the ground probably qualifiies as aggravated (as well as assault in the commission of a robbery.)

Shake the law books good to figure out shit to dump on this punk's head.

7. I doubt it. From the story, the man was already having the heart attack before the kid got there. Assault, maybe, but if the Post-Gazette has its facts straight, the kid did not cause the heart attack.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

According to the kid himself. Sure.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

In Latham, Mass., that's a direct violation of the "Good Samaritan Law."

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

According to the article, the kid was an actor.

Maybe this was all staged.

11. I actually had to look that up.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ha!

Draft saved Draft deleted