1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am young and looking for a critique

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pride of pleasantville, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Where's Andy when you need him?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not a problem, but critiques go over there - slow or not.

3. Greg Pickel

Greg Pickel Member

The same thread that generate three pages of responses here generate a total of four responses in the Writers Workshop.

I understand the forum set-up, but is there anyway to allow certain things that usually should go in the WW in to the Journalism Topics only main forum? Seems like it would help more people that way.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Three pages of response but how much was wiseassness and how much was actual help or critique?

5. even if there is only 10 actual people who helped me that is 9 more than the other one

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I know what you mean.

I dreamed of being an Olympic sprinter, but my major weakness was running.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

POP,

At this point, improving your writing means reading, a lot, and improving your grammar, spelling and sentence structure, as well as your general comprehension. Then, it means putting it all into practice on a regular basis in school and in your daily life.

I mean no offense by any of this. It's just that that's where you're at right now, and, based on what I've seen, it's what you really need to do at this point. Concentrate on that, and then the rest will come in time, and with practice.

The grading curve applied to any writing should not be based on whether you text, or not. There is absolutely no reason you can't text, or write on a message board, or anywhere else, with correct spelling and punctuation. That's what you should strive to do if you're serious about this.

My other suggestion, since you've come to this board, is not to do it purely for critiques of your own work. And, once you are putting your stuff over on the Writer's Workshop board and visiting there, don't only go there.

Look regularly at everything on this Journalism Topics board. There is much to learn and take in, think about and discuss, we all love doing it, and you'll pick up a lot just by reading and participating.

The good thing, too, is that you'll be able to do it all without dismaying any of us that you continually don't capitalize "I," or the first words in your sentences.

This is a board full of professional writers. You should be cognizant of that, and treat your work on here accordingly. Really, it will help you go a long way toward eventually becoming one of us.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

POP,

I will give your story an edit and put it in the writers' workshop. take a look there in a little bit. Hopefully, someone will take my edit and make it even that much better.

Take it all in, learn as much as you can.

9. riverrats95

riverrats95 Member

I'll lay $20 that this kid is really the alter ego of HeijraHenry or Trey Beamon.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll take that bet.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

HH bitches about the AP, sure, but that ain't his style.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This whole thread is a pretty elaborate scheme to concoct for a message board.

But I guess every board has to have its conspiracy theorist. Ours is riverrats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.