1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am the next contestant on ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by donnie23, Mar 20, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I will only watch Mario Lopez hosting TPIR if he wears his Bayside wrestling uniform. And dances.

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Yeah, George Hamilton probably wouldn't be half bad.

How come when it's a girl like Paris Hilton, she's a skank-whore, but when it's a guy like George Hamilton, he's a bon vivant? Just curious.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Like you expected anything less.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

What about the guy that bet $420 for everything in contestant row

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You should have punched Barker for getting rid of Holly 15 years ago.

I'll never forgive him for that.

6. donnie23

donnie23 Member

I hoped for nothing less. And he is a benevolent God.

And I wouldn't dream of taking a swing at Big Bob. You saw what he did to Happy. I ain't riskin' that.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Plinko and the mountain climber game were my favorite too. Those and the golf game.

Congrats, donnie. Must have been a good time.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Donnie, that's awesome. Just to make it in the show, that's one thing. But then to be picked, win a grandfather clock and meet the man ... wow. And when you think about it, that clock is an instant ice-breaker for guests. Talk about a great souvenir to have.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Now we need someone to wear an SportsJournalists.com shirt on the show.

Lucky Seven = worst pricing game EVAR

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, Donnie, I am jealous. And not for getting on stage, but just getting into the show! Was this your first attempt?

My brother and sister and I tried to get on TPIR in early January but failed. We were similar to you, getting out there very damn early and finding 200 people already in line. Except on our day the studio was over 2/3rds booked with groups, so fewer than 100 of the street campers got in. What a totally frustrating experience. Fortunately we traveled from the east coast via Las Vegas, so we were able to salvage a decent weekend. But I felt bad for so many others who clearly spent a lot of time and money to try to get on...ah, that's showbiz.

The irony to me is that TPIR is the last show on the planet that needs group bookings to fill a studio (maybe 20 years ago, but certainly not now). But I know Bob likes to look in the audience and say hi to the UCLA water polo team or the Pasadena Old Ladies Club.

11. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Rounding up a few answers to the last few posts ...

PT, believe it or not, this was my first attempt -- and last, as you can only be a contestant once in your life. I had actually been in California about two weeks earlier and thought about going, but tickets were obviously impossible to find. I looked at the online system through June (Bob's retirement) and there was ONE day with available tickets, so I grabbed them and vowed to figure out the rest later. (Of course, being involuntarily unemployed at the moment, there's not as much to "figure out" as there would be for some.) I almost feel bad because I've heard stories about friends of friends who've gone tens of times and never gotten on. I really lucked out going 1-for-1.

We got very lucky on our day as there were no groups at all; they even let in the stand-bys, one of whom got on stage. I've heard a rumor that they are not allowing any groups through June because of the recent overcrowding. On our day, they let in 330 and turned away at least another 200, many of whom had tickets (which, as they remind you, don't guarantee admission.)

FJ, simply awesome. Even the waiting was not so bad, as we made friends with a lovely pair of ladies from Minnes-OH-ta (with apologies to Rosie for the emphasis, but those accents were thicker than Rich Garces).

Oz, you kinda hit on the one of the most fun parts of this, for me. That clock, along with everything else, is now a cocktail party story that will make people smile no matter where you tell it. I'm sure most of us remember staying home sick from school and dialing up a little Bob and the ladies.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

When I watch that show, I always try to guess when they'll be playing for a new car. I think that would be the perfect thing. Your life is kind of sucky one day. It's raining. Your shoes leak. And then, all of a sudden, you get a chance to win a car. I never think of the taxes. Harshes the buzz, you know.

Draft saved Draft deleted