1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am the next contestant on ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by donnie23, Mar 20, 2007.

1. donnie23

donnie23 Member

... The Price is Right. Hell yes, I am.

I don't think I've started more than one or two threads in my end-of-the-bench SportsJournalists.com career, but I am unilaterally deeming this bit of information about my life worthy of its own place in history. Yes, I was a contestant on The Price is Right last week. And yes, it was awesome, easily on the coolest experiences of my life.

(I figure if Birdscribe and his "mental double-wide of useless knowledge" displayed on Jeopardy is worth a mention, so too is my "blind luck and homemade T-shirt" that got me not only into contestant's row, but on stage with Mr. Bob Barker.)

The fiancee and I drove to California and got in line at 2:15 a.m. for the 2:30 p.m. taping. And the 12 hours of waiting felt totally worth it when I saw a cue card being held up during the opening that read "donnie23" and heard the announcer tell me to COME ON DOWN!

Unlike The Bird, I can tell you about my experience. I won a grandfather clock (actual retail price: $2,275) in contestant's row with a deft bid. I ran on stage and met THE Bob Barker, all 83 years of him. I found out I was playing for ... wait for it ... A NEW CAR!

Sadly and abruptly, I then lost my game for said car, a Dodge something-or-other (it was so loud in the studio when they showed the car that I never heard what it was.) My game was not as easy as it appeared, and even if played perfectly, there is no guarantee you will win because of the element of chance. At least this is what I tell myself in the quiet, new car-less moments.

I spun 80 cents on the wheel. The girl behind me spun 80 cents on the wheel. And the girl behind us kicked both our asses with a one-spin 85.

Them's the basics. If any Price is Right fans have questions about the whole experience, fire away and I will take a crack at them in the morning. So as to avoid outing to the masses, those wishing to watch me make a fool of myself on national TV are welcome to PM me for the air date, which is coming up fairly soon.

And please folks ... have your pets spayed or neutered. G'bye everybody.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome. Hopefully, it's snowing here the day you appear.

Nothing says Price Is Right quite like a snow day. :D

3. Bob Barker -- Living Or Dead?
    Discuss.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What about the Beauties?!

BTW, that's awesome man. One of my dreams is to be on TPIR.

I saw an episode last week for the first time in a long -- LONG -- time. Woman bids 701 on a doohickey. Stoner college kid to her right bids 700. I almost threw the TV out the window. Bob hammered the poor lad, who said it was so loud and he was paying so much attention to his buddies in the crowd that he lost focus for a second.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Now THAT's laugh-out-loud funny.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Haven't seen TPIR in ages but how do the current beauties stack up (as it were)against that Murderer's Row of Janice, Dian and Holly?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Holly ... I still have a crush on her.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Did they offer a stuffed O'Hoolix doll with the showcase?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There is something much cooler about winning a grandfather clock on TPIR than winning a car.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Did Bob Barker sexually harass you?

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You should have bid like this kid did

(Sorry for the lack of a usable link. Apparently Mr. Sneakie doesn't let you)

Donnie, how did you get picked do go up? Ive heard they preselect based on a bunch of different stuff. How did it really go down

Draft saved Draft deleted