1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am the last man in America to have seen Shawshank Redemption

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Feb 18, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes, we all know I was already a failure of epic proportions. But somehow, I'd never seen Shawshank. I missed it even though it was released during my peak movie-going time--college--and kept missing it even as it became the movie the greatest Guy Movie of all-time. It was oneo f those movies I always said I'd see but always kept putting off, because I knew it would require 2-plus hours of my undivided attention.

Finally, tonight, a few minutes after 9, my wife said the movie was just starting on one of the HBOs and we should finally watch it. And for the next 2-plus hours, we sat transfixed, saying almost nothing and, in my case, even logging off SJ.

What a movie. I won't be That Guy who starts spouting lines from a classic movie he just finally saw, but wow. The hype praise is warranted and then some. That's one to buy on DVD.

And in related news, my goodness, 1994 was some year for movies (Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction) when Shawshank got seven Oscar nominations and not a single win...and Tim Robbins not even a nomination.

Commence mocking me...............NOW!!!

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I can't.

I've never seen the movie.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Since you brought it up, Forrest Gump is one of the most overrated movies of all time.

Shawshank is exceptional.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm in the same boat, Rosie.

1994 also gave us Clerks. Kevin Smith helped, though.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I haven't seen it either. I don't have the excuse of it being during my movie going prime, though, I was 7 at the time.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Great movie. Good to know there are still people out there who can watch it for the first time.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Get busy living, or get busy dying, BYH.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You wouldn't be the last man in America then...

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Um...I've never seen Shawshank.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The odds on that post being made were incredibly low in Vegas.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

::)

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I saw it for the first time in September, BYH, and I was roundly mocked by those I let in on my dirty little secret.

Needless to say, I was mesmerized much like you and the wife were. Great movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted