1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am thankful....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I will be the first to agree what a pain the Holidays can be. Family squabbles, logistical travel nightmares, no time, no money, give me my life back!

However.

Even though I have just gone through a few months of Hell, and have spent more than a couple moments cursing a blue streak at the unfairness of the world, truth is, I am still here, my family is (relatively) healthy, we still have a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our backs.

Yes, things could indeed be a lot worse. Something I've had to remind myself of more than a few times in recent times.

So let's take a moment to think about what we are thankful for. Post if you wish, don't feel like you have to. But despite a lot of the rottenness of the world, there is still a lot of good out there. All I ask is if you do post, keep it clean. There's plenty of other threads to be raunchy and obnoxious.

For me, I'm thankful that my brother was forgetful one August afternoon. Had he not been, my dad (and possibly my brother) would have been on the 35W bridge when it collapsed.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm thankful for my job that I started in January. It's completely different from what I thought I'd do with my life, but I enjoy the work, have an awesome boss, make decent money, and get to watch my kid grow up instead of pulling the 4-midnight shift forever.

And even though the first Thanksgiving without my Granny is going to be rough, I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with her, and that she died without feeling pain.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Thankful for family, friends, a new sister-in-law, hockey, SportsJournalists.com and the chance to see the Rockies in a World Series.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Four healthy, happy, smart, cute as hell kids. I have nothing to complain about and everything to be grateful for as long as they are happy and healthy.

Compared to that, nothing else matters to me.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Darn, Rosie, make me try to be positive, why don't you? I'm sorry for whatever it has been making things so rough for you and I admire your ability to find it in your heart to be thankful anyway.

Following your fine example, I am thankful for my family and friends, most of all for a very understanding and supportive wife and the wonderful terror of a 4-year-old that she and I created together. Children can be a....handfull...at that age, but she finds little ways to remind us how much she is worth it every day.

Oh yes, and I'm thankful for the funny, frustrating, informative, addictive outlet that SportsJournalists.com offers to all of us.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

For the many, many, many blessings I've been given but which I certainly do not deserve.

7. I no longer have to work the third shift at Wal-Mart or make lattes at Starbucks. It's been a rough year, but the good Lord works on his terms and blessed me with a good-paying job that has security and the opportunity to climb the ladder.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm thankful i finally have a staff that works hard and looks for ways to get better instead of always looking for the easiest way to do things. seriously, i'm in heaven compared to what i had just three months ago.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm thankful Rosie hasn't grounded me lately, and I'm thankful for Idaho's wife.

:D

I'm thankful that my daughter is well on her way to being ready for college and embarking on her life's adventure.

(And I was kidding about the first two. Actually, only kidding about the second one).

10. I'm thankful that in the last year I finally realized that I'm happy right where I am. It's a big load off your shoulders not feeling the pressure to climb up to a bigger and better paper or beat.
    I'm thankful to have realized that it's perfectly alright to be content with the way your life is going.
    I'm thankful that my ex-girlfriend decided to become my ex-girlfriend because she realized that she couldn't handle a long-distance relationship, because since we split up in August, she seems to be even just a little more stress-free and more happy overall. And all I ever wanted to do was make her happy, so if this is what it takes, it's what I'll do.
    I'm thankful for the ability to take every negative and somehow put a positive spin on it.
    I'm thankful for having come to the realization that we're not on this earth for very long so there's no need to get pissed about the little things because it's not worth wasting a breath on.
    I'm thankful that in the last 5 years my dad has gotten back into golfing so we have just one more thing that we can share in the very limited time we have together.

Finally, I'm thankful to have a place like SportsJournalists.com where I can discuss different things with a bunch of people I've never met, and to have a place where I know I can always get a good laugh.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Be safe. Be happy.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am thankful my dad is recovering pretty well from open heart surgery (although I'll be more thankful when he comes home from the hospital). I am thankful my job has the flexibility to allow me to spend as much time with him as I need to. And I'm thankful I'm not having to travel this week!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Good idea, Rosie. I've been thinking about this because traditionally it's my job to begin tomorrow's dinner with a few words. And this year, it won't be easy. In fact, an old friend of mine said to me a week ago, you don't have a lot to be thankful for this year, do you? It was a legitimate question because my sister is going through treatment for breast cancer, having finished four sets of chemo, she's now getting blood treatment that will lead up to radiation. And my mother is now 89 and suffering from the usual aches and pains while I'm limited to walking with a walker due to my (secondary progressive) multiple sclerosis.

But you know something? There is still plenty to be thankful for. We must believe and trust the doctors who say my sister's cancer will be neutralized with the radiation treatments. So I'm thankful for that and I'm thankful that I can still walk well enough to get across the street with the walker. And I'm thankful I have a mother who cooks for me. And, yes, of course, I'm always thankful for friends who mean well and continue to talk to me regularly.

So take it from there, everybody. Life is still good because it's so much better than the alternative.

Draft saved Draft deleted