1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am so stupid....I NEED TO GET A HAIRCUT (an ebay lesson thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Sep 20, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Newsflash: Farmerj is stupid. So where is the girl giving the shocker?

So I try to do something nice for Dr. J on his birthday. I tried to get us tickets to a local event, but we felt they were overpriced.

Flashforward to eBay, which neither of us have very much experience with.

Opening bid, 9.99 for two tickets with a max bid of $40. Someone bids 52.89. I up my max bid to 65. They go 66. It's an hour before the auction closes, and I bid $67, and put our max bid at 80.

The law in New York is that you can only bid up to 101.50 for these tickets. So, in a flash of brillance, I figure I'll bid 101.50. That way if someone tries to up the bid at the last minute I'll have these tickets no matter what. Hell, maybe we'll get these premim seats for $67 bucks.

Nope, auction over. I'm stuck with tickets that I would have paid $90 at the box office (with fees). I ended up paying 116.50.

I can not believe how fucking stupid I was. Dr. J sees me crying. Thinks something is really wrong. Then he thinks we lost the tickets. Then I showed him what happened.

Our newly-started house fund? Gone.

Thank God that September is a five-paycheck month, maybe I can get back on track next week.

Hey, at least they're good seats....for almost $30 more than I'd pay at the box office.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

E-Bay can be very funny like that. I bid on some Juicy Jump suits on E-Bay for my wife before we went on our cruise. I max bid $95 on one pair and $100 on another. The first pair went for $120 and the second pair I bid on I won with $45 dollars. Mind you they were both nice new unopened suits on at the same time same sizes and nearly the same color.

3. farmerjerome

Completely thread-jacking my own thread.

I don't like the new Juicy jumpsuits. The terry cloth is horrid.

4. indiansnetwork

It wasn't the terry cloth kind.

5. farmerjerome

They had some of the terry cloth stuff at the store I work at. It was weird that people would pay that much for a towel skirt. :D

The kid's stuff is super cute.

6. indiansnetwork

LOL Towel Skirt. I happen to like women in towel skirts. You work at the Gap or something?

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

www.auctionsniper.com is a good site to use if you use eBay a lot.

It will watch an auction for you and place a bid for you with as little as 5 seconds left. It saves you from bidding too much too earlier or continuing to up your bid hours before the auction is over.

I've used it a couple of times. If I find something I really want and it's days away, I go to sniper, put in my max bid to bid with 10 seconds left and forget about it. It costs 25 cents an auction, but only if you win the auction. First 3 are free.

8. farmerjerome

Awesome, I'll have to try that.

indiansnetwork, I don't work at the Gap. I work at Marshalls.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

are sweatzito's making a comeback? I've been waiting to bust out my Adidas sweatzito for years, along with my Troop sneakers, or Lotto's.

10. indiansnetwork

Ok thats cool. Marshalls is a good store.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I saw a screen capture of a guy who won an auction for an Xbox 360 at $500 at the height of the mania last year. One tiny problem, though: auction was for a POSTER of an Xbox 360.

So if nothing else, you didn't do THAT.

12. indiansnetwork

LOL :) that is awesome good for the guy who sold that bad for the buyer.

Draft saved Draft deleted