1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am scared of your whiteness!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Memphis radio hosts goes AWOL on GOP candidate on radio interview ...

http://news.yahoo.com/radio-host-loses-female-gop-candidate-stupid-m-164432955.html

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Paging you know who.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

White is the new black.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

awol? not that i saw. aside from that, i'm not sure i've ever seen a bigger dick than that guy.

5. AWOL - of his senses.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

On the subject of whiteness...
    I have for some time now thought about starting a thread to ask some informed posters to tell me why and how the hoops rosters at Indiana and Wisconsin are usually filled with so many white players.
    Is there some sort of recruiting mandate or push by the backers of those programs to not sign as many players of color?
    And I'm being serious, I've really wanted to have this discussion among this board, where probably more than a few people could shed some light.
    And I don't want this to come off as racial or anything close. I am curious. No smart-ass responses, please.
    Iowa does it, too, but not so much.
    If you look, Indiana State and Iowa State and Purdue and many of the other state schools in Wisconsin don't seem to have such a makeup.
    Anybody got light to shed?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's a Big 10 thing, because I watched the second half of Northwestern-Nebraska the other night (well, it was on for background noise while I read), and I noticed the NW had four white guys on the floor most of the game. I agree, it is a little curious.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Curious indeed. But I think it is partly tradition and partly that there are so many good white players in the midwest. I think Indiana and Wisconsin take pride in appearing as the overachieving/scrappy team, and those players fit the mold. Grab a few white sharpshooters/tough defenders, fill in a couple of stars here and there and see what happens. Or something.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ahhh yahh, those scrappy, hard-working, hustling, fundamentally sound "coach on the floor" types.

As opposed to the other guys, who ... uhhh ... aren't.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Demographics.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

See. I don't get the demographics thing because most schools don't field teams made up of people only from their respective cities.
    Most programs go so far as to recruit outside state lines, and as I said, most all the other schools on the D-I level from around Wisconsin or Indiana field teams with at least as many and often more, blacks than whites.
    And Indiana/Wisconsin both have won many games with those types of teams.
    I've just never understood if it was mandated internally or something along those lines.
    Because every year, that's the makeup of those teams.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It seems to me to be something more than demographics going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted